1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CATS4 or/and NC levels for informing student potential for the IGCSE Literature English

Discussion in 'English' started by dianehistory, Jul 13, 2015.

1. dianehistory

dianehistory New commenter

Can anyone help? I am being made to make up as many numbers as possible for the IGCSE Literature English Course.

We are an international school, and some have EAL issues. I have managed to increase Literature by including year 9 students who received L2 in English (I know). We completed checkpoint, this term, and a considerable number did not do very well. As a reult, I am being told to use CATS4 as a guide.

I feel CATS4 tells us what a student is good at, but it does not inform on what they are not good at. We have students in top sets with severe learning issues, one who can only manage a sentence in an hour, but attained a L6 in CATS. As a result, we cannot move him from the top set. (This is an example of a challenge we face).

I am unsure of the target we should set to qualify students for the IGCSE (in year 9). For example, what boundary level/benchmark should we use? I had set an NC level at 6C, but this cancelled out too many students, so now I am being told to use CATS. Can anyone please, please offer me advice ASAP? We have a parents evening on Wednesday! Thanks

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Presuming, of course, that you take the exams in Year 11...

NC Level of 6c? That's rather high - I thought the general idea was that if they achieved a Level 5, they would be on track for a C.

CATS4? No idea. I have only done these once, with a Year 7 class at another school - and our results came out as numbers rather than Levels. I am also rather cynical about the use of these standardised scores to make any really meaningful predictions, and would ultimately favour NC-style levels. However, again, the idea is that 100 represents roughly the average - so mid 90s up would predict a C (with hard work).