1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CATs tests

Discussion in 'Primary' started by panda67, Mar 5, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hello all!</font><font size="2">Just a quick question, are CATs tests (or similar) used in your primary school? If so how and for what purpose?</font><font size="2">I am currently (trying to!) review how our school identifies G&T pupils within our school, I came across this as a possible method to help inform the process but I'm not sure if it is just appropriate for secondary schools? Any help or information would be very much appreciated!</font><font size="3" face="Calibri"> </font> Thank you!

2. <font size="2">Hello all!</font><font size="2">Just a quick question, are CATs tests (or similar) used in your primary school? If so how and for what purpose?</font><font size="2">I am currently (trying to!) review how our school identifies G&T pupils within our school, I came across this as a possible method to help inform the process but I'm not sure if it is just appropriate for secondary schools? Any help or information would be very much appreciated!</font><font size="3" face="Calibri"> </font> Thank you!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In my LA children do CATs tests in yrs 3, 5 &( I believe) 7. These are a bit like the older IQ tests a quick indicator of abobe/ below average pupils & are used to 'predict' attainment at SAT levels. With differences in VR, Non VR if there's a big discrepancy (more than 20 pts difference I think) this may be an indicator of dyslexia or another learning difficulty-this with a 35 point difference for one of my own children highlighted his (previously undiagnosed) dyslexia!

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

ours do cats in Y4. We use it to confirm SEN and as evidence for securing additional funding for support. It's interesting to see their IQ also. It's the most useful piece of assessment we use.

5. We do Cats in y4 too across our County. We use it to verify target setting and identify areas where value can be added. The cats give you an indication of what a child is capable of and the level they are likely to make at the end of KS2 if they coast along and make progress in line with their chronological age. There is a huge push for not just making the 2 levels expected progress in KS2 so we are supposed to use this data to identify those who may border level 3/4 or 4/5 and to give aim to boost them to achieve more than just the expected rate of progress.