1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catholic school interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cys2017, Jun 26, 2018.

1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

hi I have an interview at a Catholic school. I don’t really know anything about catholic values etc but would appreciate if anyone could advise how I should approach questions around this at the interview

I’m so nerve out this Is my first ever job interview since completing my pgce like a month ago

Thanks in advance

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

If you are not of the faith they will not ask specific questions. I was asked who my parish priest was - I was lapsed and probably wouldn't have got the job because of that but the other candidate I was told was unemployable!

cys2017 likes this.
  4. cys2017

This will be my first interview. Do they usually speak about what the other interviewees were like?:eek:

Also what do I take with me...? Anyone know?

5. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

No they dont talk about other interviewees - I was told that sommetime after I got the job - I didnt see the other candidate - just take proof of id and DBS if you have one

cys2017 likes this.
  6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

What is the role you have applied for?

cys2017 likes this.
  7. cys2017

Teaching assistant/learning mentor

8. cys2017

Oh right so did they just call/ email and tell you? Do most places give reasons if you are unsuitable?

9. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

You may be given feedback but remember feedback is so the school can justify to themselves the reason the other person got the job

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. dts

dts Occasional commenter

In most Catholic schools only a handful of senior staff are required to be practising Catholics, although all will be expected to be supportive of the school's ethos and sympathetic to Catholic values. You may get one or two questions about your personal faith - it's fine to be honest but do emphasise that you would support the school's line and refer to more senior colleagues if necessary.

11. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

You may be asked how you would support the ethos of the school.

If you want to find out about Catholic values, google 'christ at the centre' and you can download it as a pdf document and it will tell you about catholic education.

Good luck at your interview.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Read the school's website carefully. It will almost certainly say quite a lot about the school's ethos and values. Don't say in interview that you will support the school's values if you don't know what they are! Read the website then you can refer to them in your interview answer (if they ask you about it).

cys2017 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The job ad or the JD and Person Spec should make clear if applicants have to be practising Catholics. Unlikely for TA/LM jobs unless the Governors of that school are unusually strict.

cys2017 likes this.
  14. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I worked in a Catholic School and it will be a blessing if you get in and also a blessing if you don't.

Hope the Perfect School for you, finds you and soon.

cys2017 likes this.
  15. cys2017

What do you mean by a blessing if you don’t? Lol :) do they have cultural safeguarding issues? Like is it likely to have occasions where the kids are forced by there parents to practice the religion .. and come to school upset etc because of that? Never worked in a school for a particular faith before so should be interesting

16. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Just go for it and whatever happens accept it. I am not saying for or against, just that the right school finds you soon and that this school may be the right school.