1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

catholic school application - references from whom??

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by gillian2607, Dec 31, 2010.

1. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

You seem to think, then, that the most important function of Catholic schools is segregation rather than the spiritual development, alongside other learning, of their pupils. One of the points on the SCES charter mentions an inclusive ethos. It would appear from your arguments that you do not agree with this. Perhaps you should move to England and set up a free school.

2. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

halfajack
    "You seem to think, then, that the most important function of Catholic schools is segregation"
    I do not think that. I know that. It is not the teaching of religion which keeps Catholics safe, it is the segregation which provides the safety.
    "One of the points on the SCES charter mentions an inclusive ethos. It would appear from your arguments that you do not agree with this."
    You have interpreted my posts well and very well.
    "Perhaps you should move to England and set up a free school."
    I do not understand that point. What is a free school?

3. halfajack

Brainnchild of the ConDem coalition, a free school is one set up by a teacher, parent other interested party which receives state funding but is not under local authority control. Mr. Gove has ruled out religious fundamentalists though so you may have to tone it down a bit in your application. Your views are worrying and make me wonder how you got Catholic Approval without lying on your application.

4. halfajack

Furthermore, what exactly do you think Catholic children are being kept safe from by this perceived segregation?

5. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

halfajack
    "... a free school is one set up by a teacher, parent other interested party which receives state funding but is not under local authority control. Mr. Gove has ruled out religious fundamentalists though so you may have to tone it down a bit in your application."
    Thank you for that explanation of a "free school". I agree with the concept but it is rather a pity that Mr Gore introduced a discriminatory provision.
    I think that all schools should be "free schools". No school should be controlled by the government or financed by the government. Each school should be permitted to decide its own curriculum, employment policy and pupil/student admission policy. Also its disciplinary policy. All schools should be self-supporting - financed by the fees paid by parents. Child Benefit could be increased in order to leave parents able to pay the school fees. The State should fund parents, not schools.
    The policy I suggest would free education from politicians and the middle-class literature fascists who dominate the educational establishment. It would give parents the right to choose. Most beneficial of all, it would put schools and, hence, teachers under the financial thumbs of their customers i.e. parents. And "under the thumbs of parents" is where teachers rightfully belong.
    "Your views are worrying and make me wonder how you got Catholic Approval without lying on your application."
    I find that statement "worrying". Are you insinuating that real Catholics are not welcome in the Catholic teaching profession? Are you insinuating that heretics have infiltrated the Catholic priesthood to such an extent that a real Catholic would have to lie in order to be approved as a teacher in a Catholic school? Could this be the reason why there are so many non-Catholics teaching in Catholic schools?
    I never got Catholic Approval. Nor did I seek such approval. I never taught in a Catholic school. I taught in FE where I had to mix with Protestants.

6. Well if nothing else you're honest. How do you defend this position from the perspective of the teachings of Christ?

7. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

svartalfar
    "Well if nothing else you're honest. How do you defend this position from the perspective of the teachings of Christ?"
    What does the Pope know about Protestants? For that matter, what does any Catholic clergyman know about Protestants? Catholic clergy do not have to compete with Protestants for a job or a house. Nor are they rearing children who will have to compete with the Protestants for a job or a house.
    Once again I remind you that the Bible advises "Come ye out from among them". Or as the American poet, Robert Frost, put it "Good fences make good neighbours".
    I think that Celtic and Hibernian should seek admission to the English football league and leave Scottish football to the Calvinists. Such a move would be good for Celtic and Hibernian. It would be good for Scottish football. It would be good for wider Scottish society.

8. Aber is fabulously entertaining, isn't he?!

9. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

"
    Public policy in the Netherlands is based on the principle of
    "Pillarisation" - separate and equal pillars of society. Good fences
    make good neighbours. "

There is a word of Dutch origin for this evil ***te - Apartheid.
    <h2> </h2>

10. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

ryeland
    "Public policy in the Netherlands is based on the principle of
    "Pillarisation" - separate and equal pillars of society. Good fences
    make good neighbours. "

There is a word of Dutch origin for this evil ***te - Apartheid."
    What is evil about the Netherlands? What is evil about peace?
    <h2> </h2>

11. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

How dare you!. I do not approve of entertainment. I am a Catholic.

12. Methinks he's a troll.

13. halfajack

Yes, hence my letting it drop. He could've kept me going if it wasn't for that last bit!

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

He's not a troll. He just loves to annoy people on here and on the main Opinion forum, especially wrt this issue. Many posters, over the years, have gone many rounds with Aber.
    Aber has accrued nearly 4000 posts and I'll bet the vast majority are to do with Religion.

15. What about his last post - Catholics can't have a good time, since when? Did they not come up with the rhythm method?
    Actually come to think of it maybe he's Ian Paisley or an apostle of Jack Glass, he doesn't appear to think much of his spiritual father.

16. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

"Aber has accrued nearly 4000 posts and I'll bet the vast majority are to do with Religion. "
    Abuse of Religion.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Thought that was ian Dury and the Blockheads [​IMG]

18. Are you sure it wasn't Papa Joe and the *** ?

19. Is Papa Joe not a pizza place?

20. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

Is it true that you and Mrs Aber never have sex standing up as it could be confused with dancing?