1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

catholic school application - references from whom??

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by gillian2607, Dec 31, 2010.

1. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Touche! I perhaps should have made it clearer and said not out to undermine Catholic teaching! If you are, why would you want to teach in a Catholic school anyway?

2. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

Si N. Tiffick
    "Yes. The vast majority aren't anti Catholic."
    That might be the case among Presbyterians in Scotland. I hope that is true. But then I remember the conduct of the Orange bands from Scotland which invade Northern Ireland every summer. And also the behaviour of many of the Scots who have taken up residence in Northern Ireland. Hopefully, they are not representative of Scottish Presbyterians in general.
    "Your own prejudice against Presbyterians, however, is palpable."
    You call it "prejudice". I call it "experience".
    "BTW, not all non Catholics are Presbyterian!"
    I thought that all non-Catholics in Scotland were Presbyterians.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

!!!!!!

4. halfajack

Certainly not from my experience. The Orange Walk louts (I don't mean all of the Orange Order, just the troublesome individuals you refer to) are a tiny minority. Think of the reputation of certain football fans in foreign places - do all the fans deserve it?
    No, some are Muslim, Jewish, aetheist...

5. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

halfajack
    "Touche! I perhaps should have made it clearer and said not out to undermine Catholic teaching! If you are, why would you want to teach in a Catholic school anyway?"

You have raised a pertinent issue.
    How many Catholic schools are there in Scotland?
    How many teachers are there in those schools?
    How many of those teachers are not practising Catholics?
    How many are practising members of other religions?
    How many pupils are there in those schools?
    How many are the children of practising Catholics?
    How many are the children of practising members of other religions.
    How many children of practising Catholics attend non-Catholic schools?

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Aber- why don't you find out and let us all know?

7. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

I am trying to find out. I wonder why that sort of information is not readily available - especially as the very existence of Catholic school is often a matter for public debate.

8. There are a few promoted teachers in our school who are not catholic however I'm not sure if they are approved. It has honestly never been an issue. As long as you say you will uphold the ethos of the catholic school it shouldn't be a problem & once you work there no one asks what religion you are (although it is obvious during mass at the end of year etc...) but lots of teachers (& pupils for that matter) aren't practicing catholics. T xx

9. Aber - you must be a real embarrassment to a lot of good catholics.

10. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Are St Joseph and Aber the same person?

11. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

Why? What could be wrong with a Catholic seeking information about Catholic schools and Catholic students?

12. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

No. I am not a saint - yet.

13. The more non-Catholics that we can manage to squeeze into Catholic schools the better. We must attempt to bring down this sick and warped institution from the inside. I teach in a Catholic school and one period a week I sit at a computer in the library because my room is occupied. RE is taught in the library during that lesson, and I've never heard such an unbelievable amount of guff in all my life. At least once during every lesson I feel like standing up and telling the kids not to listen to a word the twisted witch masquerading as a teacher is saying. Last week the woman charged with the task of teaching the children about Religion was extolling the evils of -- wait for it -- Stephen Fry! Trying to convince her pupils (who all sit in hushed silence whilst this maniac is ranting) that they should boycot QI because Stephen Fry debated Anne Widdecombe on the relative mertis of the Catholic Church, and derided it as fantastical and dangerous gibberish.
    What use are Catholic schools other than teaching pupils that they are different to other children, teaching them that gay sex is sinful, and talking **** about Stephen Fry? Ban the lot of them.

14. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

Torri
    "I only said in my department and we are shortage subject."
    I think that you have put the word "only" in the wrong place. I am really distressed by this frequent misplacement of the word "only".
    "There is in fact 5 vacancies within our local council for my subject"
    I think you mean "There are, in fact, 5 vacanicies."
    "so we could all go to a non catholic school if we wanted to-however where would that leave the catholic school?"
    Why is there a shortage of Catholic teachers in your subject? Is there a conspiracy in your land?
    "There are many catholic teachers within the school"
    I am glad to hear that, in a Catholic school, there are many Catholic teachers.
    "it does not infringe upon the charter for catholic teaching."
    I find that hard to believe. In fact, I do not believe it.
    "I am pleased I work in a school that treats everyone the same."
    In a Catholic school non-Catholics have no right to equality with Cathoics just as, in your house, I have no right to equality with you.
    "Which is more religious and setting a good example to pupils? Especially within the central belt of Scotland."
    It says in the Bible "Come ye out from among them". The American poet (and I apologise for mentioning a poet. I detest poets and poetry) Robert Frost said "Good fences make good neighbours".

15. halfajack

Aber, it's a shame you've resorted to petty criticisms of grammar.

You're also in danger of perpetuating the myth amongst many opponents of separate schools: that they serve only to segregate our society. I don't think there's a Bishop in the land who would publicly agree with your argument.

16. Isn't religion fun?!
    Peace and goodwill to all men (and, go on then, wummin' too!).

17. But suffer the little children.......................
    [​IMG]

18. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

Torri
    "we struggle to even get people to apply for jobs never mind what religion they are."
    Why? I thought that there was a shortage of teaching posts in Scotland.

19. halfajack

They weren't my mistakes. I was sticking my beak in where a wasn't involved. I don't think it's appropriate to criticise the grammar of other adults in such an informal setting. Those who do this, especially in relation to very minor variations from the standard, tend to come across as petty.

I'm quite confident in my ability to use standard English grammar. This ability has nothing to do with your posts.

Would you describe yourself as a fanatic?

20. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

halfajack
    "Would you describe yourself as a fanatic?"
    In the matter of promoting safety (for Catholics) through segregation, I am a fanatic.
    In the Netherlands, amateur soccer is organised into leagues for Calvinist and other leagues for Catholic. The Calvinists (Presbyterians) play their matches on Saturdays while the Catholics play theirs on Sundays.
    In the Netherlands, Calvinist, Catholic and State (secular) schools all receive 100% State funding and have done so since 1918.
    Public policy in the Netherlands is based on the principle of "Pillarisation" - separate and equal pillars of society. Good fences make good neighbours.