1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catholic Mass Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Help, I'm doing a mass in church about remembrance. Can anyone help?

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What do you mean you are 'doing a mass'?

You are leading the whole service? Or just a little talk about what we wear poppies for?

3. I'm not being a dick (or at least, not on purpose), or trying to be a smartarse, or trying to be clever. But when you say 'doing a Mass', you don't mean, like, giving it? You know, like the priest? I'm thinking back to my days at Catholic school... The masses were very chant-y and the same every time; the only difference would be a prayer or something someone had written on certain occasions. Is that what you have to give? In Y11, my form tutor made me write the prayer for my form's 'Goodbye Mass'-thing. I was (am) an atheist but didn't want to be disrespectful; I remember my prayer wasn't really about God, but just a general 'thank you' for the times we'd shared, the bond we'd formed, etc. I remember a few girls cried haha which was pretty cool [​IMG] - nobody seemed to mind that I'd skirted round the 'Catholic' theme, apart from a 'Dear Lord' and an 'amen'. What I'm saying is: I don't think you'll be expected to give a lesson on the teachings of Christ etc, just something general about gratitude and comfort etc. Good luck - this kind of thing is scary but I'm sure you'll be fine x

4. Is this about choosing the hymns, your class doing the readings and bidding prayers and maybe a drama at some point?

5. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I need bidding prayers, gospel readings, responsorial psalm...

Should have been a little clearer. I won't be stood up at the from of the church but I have to have written the entire mass which the priest leads and the children also take part in.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

It sounds to me like the priest is being a bit lazy and getting you to do his job.

7. Your priest sounds like my school's PPA teacher!
    [​IMG]
    Have you asked him for guidance? x

8. Wouldn't you just use the readings and psalm for the day? If not how about 'The Lord's My shepherd' for the psalm, and readings about the hope of a resurrection? Maybe look at the readings recommended for a requiem mass. For bidding prayers - maybe get the children to write appropriate ones.

9. If you want some songs - visit the Out of the Ark website, www.outoftheark.com. They have various tltles that would provide some great songs for the service. Essential Christmas Carols, A Cracking Christmas or Songs for EVERY Christmas. In our school we have sometimes used elements from the nativity story that we are doing, and take odd songs from that included in the service. We get the reception children to come in their nativity outfits and walk round the church to sone of the nativity songs ...

10. Sorry just read the thread again and got completely confused! I was thinking Christmas Service!!!! Apologies

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I'm sure God will provide enlightenment!

12. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Hi you could start off with peace perfect peace for the opening hymn with the children giving a brief introduction the mass - today we come together to remember.....etc. I would ask the children to write the bidding prayers based on the bravery of the soldiers serving in the armed forces, the families, peace, british legion and those who support those who have fought to make lives better for others. The gospel can come from the priest if you ask him for help or use a catholic website. The offertory the children could take a poppy, prayers they have written then the bread and wine. Father will say the homily and the eucharistic prayers - this is my body is a good offertory hymn and give me joy for the recessional. Good luck - hope this helps

13. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

The Francesca Kelly fifty masses with children is excellent for all year round class/ year group/ school masses planning. I have an All Saints/All souls mass I could e mail you. 'We will remember the people who died' is a popular hymn- see 'Sing Out' CDs.