1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies - RE PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by head66, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Having spent many years in Catholic primary schools in London, there was once an expectation that teachers could not progress to SLT positions without CCRS. However, I would suggest this is no longer the case. As a headteacher, I would happily employ a teacher at my school without it, if they were the best candidate. My advice would be to concentrate on the PGCE.

2. I tend to agree. CCRS is a useful qualification to have for anyone wanting a career in RC school, esp primary. But you don't have to do it during PGCE (may be possible for those doing 3-4 year undergraduate courses). You should get a chance to do so as part of your CPD with funding and time off. It's available in every RC diocese, and distance learning is possible.

3. Do it. You won't have any trouble doing it alongside your PGCE. The tasks are pointless, the quality of the output is dire, and they place absolutely no expectations on you.

One might argue it's a pointless piece of paper that's provided for learning absolutely nothing, and one would probably be right. But that's beside the point. I found it very quick and insultingly easy, so surely you'll have no problem.

4. I'm assuming that its England you're in, but I did the Certificate of Religious Education by Distance Learning (CREDL) from Glasgow Uni and its probably similar to the CCRS. It was an online course with 2 parts made up of 8 units. You had to answer 2 reflections for each unit and complete an assignment for each part. It did it over BEd 1 and 2 and the workload was fine. I sometimes had to force myself to do it but it really was interesting and definitely worthwhile to do.

5. If you are intent on teaching in a Catholic School then it can be useful but is less so a 'requirement' now. It is a minor component and should be manageable during your training.
    James

6. It may depend on where you got your Degree from. If you got it from a Catholic college (eg Heythrop College) it's not necessary. If not it is up to the employer. If you didn't have it a potential employer might say they would expect you to earn it in your first year.

7. amarantine

amarantine New commenter

I'm doing an RE PGCE now, and although I personally am not interested particularly in working in a Catholic school, a friend of mine really wanted to. She applied for a post at one, and got the job, as far as I know she's not doing the CCRE/S (whatever the abbrieviation is!). She just has to get a reference from her parish priest to prove she has been going to Church like a good Catholic!
    I would just focus on the PGCE part for now - think about the CCRE later, after you've got the PGCE!

8. samgriffin2809

samgriffin2809 New commenter

Was the course done over two years or one?

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You are responding to a zombie thread which is now over 7 years old - try posting a new one