1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cathartic

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

On a mission to clear out old school stuff - so much kept 'just in case' and I will no longer need it now I am retiring.

Got rid of 4 bags so far with only 4 more to go!

Why did I ever keep so much rubbish?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I hired a skip!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm sure there's still stuff in my cupboards. Out of sight and out of mind.

4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Making a clean sweep but I'm sure more will surface!!

digoryvenn, mathsmutt and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I often ask myself that. I reckon it's part & parcel of being a Primary teacher that we keep things.

Seriously though that's what I need to start doing. I kept it in case of doing any tutoring, but realistically it's got to go. :) And if ever I needed anything most is online these days.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I taught ICT and multimedia for many years, and had made copies of kids' files for marking or for reference when setting levels. Some of them included video or digital image work they'd done.

When GDPR came in I realised that it would look well dodgy to have stuff on a home PC featuring past pupils so I deleted the entire lot, plus any copies of mark spreadsheets, admin stuff, memos about kids and so on. Basically anything and everything that could identify an individual, even from twenty plus years ago. All gone, like I was never at the school for two decades of my life.

I've kept copies of the lesson materials I enjoyed devising and teaching, but only my stuff. It's not like digital files take up much space in the house.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I got rid of all of mine. I also got rid of all my pay slips and then when there was a question about a tax issue I didn't have any evidence.
    Don't throw out your payslips @Marshall

8. grumpydogwoman

Luckily I've always been able to close a door on something and regard it as no longer existing. It just doesn't. Not until I reopen that door. So I keep the door closed. Suits me!

mathsmutt, Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

When we were preparing to move into our present home, himself ordered a skip, a BIG skip, and we filled it. :oops: I could hardly believe haw much school stuff I had, even though I was retired. Do I miss any of it? No!! :)

Marshall, Lara mfl 05 and mathsmutt like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Me old man keeps all payslips, contracts etc and just as well since i had a legal battle 2 yrs ago re my pension.
    But 5 yrs after I left teaching, i realised that my chalk'n'talk worksheety stuff was so out of date in the digital age, i dumped it all. But I still have a stick...

11. springmorning

springmorning New commenter

Yes, definitely keep all payslips. When I enquired about my projected NHS pension from years ago, it turned out they had based it on the wrong finishing date, and the wrong final salary. I was able to prove they were wrong because I had all my payslips and P45s.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I am still clearing - not much more to go now!
    At the same time I am organising all the household paper work as I keep finding 'stuff'. I am appalled about I have let it get into such a state!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

You're making me feel guilty! I hate that kind of chore. I'm going to pretend it's entirely unnecessary in my abode.

(But it so isn't.)

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You've had other things on your mind - more important things.

Marshall likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I switched subjects. I have ten years of my old subject in the shed 'just in case'.

A job for the summer is disposing of the vast majority of it

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Grumpy -don't feel guilty. I'm only doing it to keep busy:(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.