1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catering GCSE

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by pineapplebun, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hello,

I'm new to catering and was looking at the spec and had a few questions I hope you guys could help me with please.

1, what does it mean when they talk about a food display? Do they expect the students to make a display of their chosen commodities and take a photo?

2, when they finally come to making their final four dishes for unit 1, task 1 are they expected to cook all four in one go?

Any advice is much appreciated!
    Thank you x

2. I'm not sure about the display? We didn't do it.
    We do the four dishes at the same time but they need extra time. I don't thnk they can insist schools do this as it has cost implication (cover costs for example) so if you have to do it in two sessions then so be it.

3. I do assess 1 at the start of the summer term in yr10. I have done the dairy one for the last 2 yrs, but have completed two cooking sessions. You have to do two timeplans, but only one equipment/ingredients list for all four dishes. To do all four in yr10 is too much for many students.
    I find that if they do two dishes in each session the way that they cook, and the quality of their finished results are better.

4. We do Fruit and Veg task as we felt they would waste ingredients if the did the dairy one. you know the way they use one tablespoon and throw the rest away because they can't be bothered to take it home. We thought Fruit and veg would healthier and cheaper if they chose wisely and could still use dairy foods in their recipes. what was the other one ? Rice and pasta? could see students making a lot of colourless dishes and burnt pans when they practice!
    We don't give them any guidance for research and they come up with lots of interesting dishes.

5. Thanks for your replies!

Just wondering when you le the start the task 1?