1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catch up teaching over the summer...

Discussion in 'News' started by weesteve, Jun 10, 2020.

1. weesteve

weesteve New commenter

I’ve read that the government is going to announce its plans for “catch-up” teaching over the summer break on Monday... Anyone else wondering what these might be? The previous head of Ofsted said that schools should look to their budgets to see if they can afford to pay teachers extra money t lead these lessons. Does he know what school budgets look like after ten years of austerity?

I expect there will be a range of responses from teachers from “I would be more than willing to work for nothing over the summer to make up some of the ground lost by our most disadvantaged children” to “No amount of money would persuade me to give up my annual summer break”, and every response in between...

I wonder how the unions will respond? Will the government even bother to counsels with them or heads? Will the government be prepared to fund this initiative?

SummerSkies and Catgirl1964 like this.
  2. sidaji

sidaji New commenter

It won’t happen. Usual holidays will apply.

Andy13uk and Catgirl1964 like this.
  3. beeson272

beeson272 New commenter

Can see the government asking qualified teachers who have retired or left the system to step in here.

can also see it being only open to students on the pupil premiums where they can get a free school meal at the same time.

4. TrueFaith

TrueFaith Occasional commenter

I can imagine that volunteers will be asked for to supervise keyworker/vulnerable kids just like during half term.

As far as the catch-up stuff goes, I will certainly have done my year's work by the end of July, and if I'm expected to plan, teach and assess learning over the summer, I'd expect to be compensated for it...

agathamorse likes this.
  5. fools_life

fools_life New commenter

Vulnerable and Key worker children need a break. No one shoukd be in. Some of these kids haven't had a break since February they need their 6 weeks NOT in school environment.

6. sidaji

sidaji New commenter

I wouldn’t listen to anything the government says as everything they say is wrong and will backtrack. Just wait til the time. I wouldn’t expect teachers to even log into their emails once (unless it’s to get student discount on UNiDAYS) during the summer holidays.

7. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I’d like to see them put their hand in their pockets and pay supply teachers to do this. I would do it to recoup the money I’ve lost.

SummerSkies and botanybod like this.
  8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

David Blunkett on radio4? said much the same regarding the (term time ) opening of schools in June/July. ie - that there was an army of supply teachers who could be recruited and that there were buildings that could be used for the extra classroom space needed - church halls, leisure centres etc. but that these would need funding.

guinnesspuss and agathamorse like this.
  9. katie40

katie40 New commenter

I heard, on the radio, a suggestion that Ofsted inspectors could be called in to teach classes in these summer schools. What a brilliant idea.

10. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

What I would say is that I think a summer catch up programme would be a good idea. Clearly how you implement it will be difficult, but I think there could be mileage in asking teachers who haven’t been doing very much over the last few months to volunteer their services over the summer.

Money is tight but I think you could look at getting graduates, supply teachers and retired teachers in to help. I don’t think the money is there to pay ‘teacher rates’ but I’m sure the government could find the money to pay say £9.50 per hour to these individuals.

11. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

Two pints per hour with a packet of crisps if you're lucky?

Perhaps not.

letap and agathamorse like this.
  12. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I'd suggest you put yourself forward, but then you're probably not a graduate.

13. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe New commenter

Just based on your previous postings, this would suggest that it was a very bad idea.

14. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe New commenter

He/She might not have a B.Sc but they are full of B.S and they probably have BSE too.

15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am not so sure. Our local school only allows them in when the key worker has a day shift, for example. So most are in around 3 days on average.

But those there seem incredibly happy to be in as the day is structured around play and activities such as drama and painting etc.

Crucially, the days are run by TAs.

So I would expect the same, the government will say these bubbles should be extended to include certain other occupations (or perhaps where both parents work) and it will mainly be TAs expected to do the business - mainly on the theory they will indeed be more likely to accept the job for some extra pay (and sure, extra responsibility)

There are, as we know, quite a few TAs and teachers who love the job and would want to help, not least if they are rewarded for doing so.

16. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I expect all your staff are too busy anyway over the 6 weeks break, doing all the basic maintenance around the building, probably building new classrooms, working on extensions at the homes of SLT.....

17. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I don't know of any teachers who 'haven't been doing very much work over the last few months', so that's no good ;).

Children and teachers need a break. If the government wants a summer catch up programme, they should organise and pay for it properly.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  18. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

I agree with this. I dont know about your schools, but in mine I have been teaching from home, I think most of you have as well. Therefore the logic of asking us to do catch up over summer is a little dubious. It is rather akin to saying home learning is nothing more than paid holiday which it is not. Thus this really falls under the additional duties and summer school end of things. Prety sure this has been said but I thought I would offer my tuppence worth.

Lalad, helemegg and agathamorse like this.
  19. sidaji

sidaji New commenter

I’m lucky don’t teach in schools, I teach In college so it’s all about the exam (much like your year 11). So I did as much as you did just for year 11.

historyexcel likes this.
  20. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

I know some teachers have been working hard- staff at my own school have been delivering live online lessons and marking work as normal.

Other schools, though, have been offering very little provision- effectively sending out worksheets on the Monday which will not be marked and not running live lessons. I think the government would be quite reasonably entitled to put those teachers to work over the summer to make up their directed time.

Happyregardless and historyexcel like this.