1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catch Up Literacy Intervention - Secondary

Discussion in 'English' started by rickers83, Jul 2, 2019.

1. rickers83

rickers83 New commenter

Hi,

I am starting my Spld teacher training in September and need to find a literacy intervention programme to run in my school.
    We are a mainstream secondary, but I will be working in the SEN department with students who are dyslexic or have learning difficulties.

Does anyone have any experience of the catch up literacy intervention at secondary level? Or can advise on successful interventions?

Thanks

2. headinabook

headinabook New commenter

Have a look at Ruth Miskin Read Write Inc 'Fresh Start'.

The trainers at Ruth Miskin state that the programme works best if you can run it in the first lesson every day of the week. This obviously does not go down well with other teachers in schools. My argument has always been that if the student is so weak as to need this sort of intervention, then they won't be accessing very much of their other subjects anyway.

I'd run it like the trainers say for the first year, see how it goes and maybe tweak for the second year? The training course you would need to attend is just fantastic (helps if you have a little phonics knowledge to start with) and should leave you enthused and motivated to deliver the programme.

I used it and saw improvements. However I have read case studies where it didn't work as well as expected. I don't work for them by the way...I am back teaching whole class English now and no longer run interventions.

best of luck.

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It depends what level the students are working at. If it is not too low, I’d focus on the basics of SPaG and reinforcing what they should know. If they are particularly poor, you might need to work on basic phonics. There are some good phonics books available (google phonics books and there will be links to plenty).