1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catalonia declares independence! Moment in History! where are you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I texted my neighbour about this, who confirmed that a window of one of the Catalan radio stations was broken by a small mob waving Spanish flags last night, but generally the atmosphere in Barcelona is "very happy and peaceful". Let's hope it stays that way!

2. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

3. florian gassmann

I very much hope not.

red_observer likes this.
  4. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

Questions have been raised in Galicia, which has been ravaged by fire in recent weeks, as to why the government was willing and able to send so many forces so quickly to catalunya to prevent a vote and yet not to Galicia to help with the fire fighting.

A different kind of fire-fighting I suppose and indicative of the government's prioriities.

woollani and red_observer like this.
  5. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

How many posts before I get past the need for moderation?

woollani likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What will independence look like? Presumably workers will still pay their taxes to Madrid?

7. florian gassmann

Apparently Catalonia is now being run by Soraya Saenz de Santamaria, deputy prime minister of Spain. I imagine she'll try to do it by email, rather than risk actually appearing in Barcelona. :rolleyes:

8. florian gassmann

I don't think so. People don't usually pay their taxes to a foreign country (which is how Catalonia now views Spain). In any case, the Catalans enlarged their regional tax office and took on extra staff last month, specifically to re-route the tax that used to go to Madrid.

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

A slight overstatement I suspect, at least for the moment
    Control has been delegated to her by the Spanish govt but how much control she really has may well be another matter

10. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Lead commenter

Rather like the soviet view of the republics, or the UK's of its empire.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was doing my year abroad in Spain in 1975 when Franco died. We British students were very concerned about what would happen next and half expected to be packing bags to return to the UK. We thought that there might be tanks on the streets and military rule.
    Our schools (where we were English Assistants) were closed and we stayed indoors for a few days, watching the TV News until everything went back to normal.

red_observer and blue451 like this.
  12. red_observer

300,000 in Barcelona today supporting the Union...is that big compared to the pro indys?

13. red_observer

interesting! I think in my view things will be quiet for a while...but then...:)

14. woollani

woollani New commenter

I've been posting half a year and still I am moderated.

15. woollani

woollani New commenter

I wonder how many were bussed in from Madrid.

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

Puigdemont and others from the executive are apparently in Belgium. This follows reports yeterday that Belgium would consider offering them political asylum and the suggestion is that that is precisely why they are there. As far as I can tell there's no official confirmation of that yet though.

A necessary step? And if so - how horrific that one Euro zone country has to offer political asylum to elected politicians from another.

Or is this a gesture?An attempt to embarrass Spain even more?

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Were you bad in an earlier life or earlier in this life?

18. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Maybe that's because you post so rarely. 65 posts - some people on here post that many in two days or less!

19. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

We're off to Catalonia in ten days' time. Should be interesting.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  20. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

Much mockery on t'internet yesterday after Girona, a catalán team newly promoted, beat Real Madrid, leaving them 8 points adrift.

Comments of the type "No EU country will recognise the result" and to the effect that one of the goals was illegal. Very enjoyable :)

ETA Still being moderated then..... good thing I didn't open the account to ask for urgent advice about anything......