1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catalonia declares independence! Moment in History! where are you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

The tank protestor disappeared into a forced labour camp I think.

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

my friend in Spain is tweeting stuff...
    students stopped from going into lectures by mobs. niece's school has security making gangways into the school for the kids. people already stockpiling food.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Or maybe you didn't need the last 7 words there.

4. emilystrange

mobs smashing windows at local radio station

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Pro, Anti or a mixture?

6. emilystrange

i don't know, i'm just relaying some tweets. i don't think anyone wants to go ask!

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Is your friend not inviting you for Hallow'e'en? You could dress as an inquisitor and report live.

8. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Not yet seeing this on national tv news but tweets from publico.es suggest it's people carrying spanish flags attacking catalunya radio.

9. emilystrange

sadly, rac, i have lessons to do. otherwise...

racroesus likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Some reasons why Catalan find independence attractive and why Spain can't let them?

From the BBC.

Catalonia in numbers

• 16% of Spain's population live in Catalonia, and it produces:

• 25.6% of Spain's exports

• 19% of Spain's GDP

• 20.7% of foreign investment
    Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness, Eurostat, Bank of Spain

11. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Hopefully, when tempers have cooled and common sense begins to take over, it'll be questions like Red's that will start to pave the way to some sort of accord.

12. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Pardner has told me that that wasn't a significant consideration but you never know.

13. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Off to Catalonia on the 9th November for al long weekend with a friend who lives in the Garraf. Good company, food, wine, walks in the hills with the dogs and a trip into Sitges for sardines and chips on the prom.

I love Catalonia and hate to see what's going on.

InkyP likes this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

InkyP and calamansi like this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think the sardines will still swim and they will still cook chips when they are independent. They will of course be better off not having to prop up the rest of Spain.

calamansi likes this.
  16. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Though I do prefer atlantic sardines, of course.

We've spent the evening researching the history of the Iberian peninsula. Confusing, fascinating and essential reading in the light of recent events.

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Indeed, but Madrid was never going to sanction that. Unlike the UK view on Scotland - that the Scottish people should decide their own future - the Spanish position is that the future of Catalonia is not up to the people who live there. If there is to be a referendum that is legal in their eyes, it will be on the basis that the whole of Spain decides the future of the Catalan people.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    woollani likes this.
  18. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

Yes, it is fascinating. However I've learned over recent weeks that if the subject comes up, some spaniards simply insist that "Catalonia has never been an independent country" and that "the referendum was illegal".

There are, of course, others who are saddened and concerned by what is gping on and who, while they might not agree with Puigdemont and his referendum, were horrified and upset by the scences of police violence on voting day. but also are others who insist that all of those images of baton weilding policemen were fakes. A very divided society right now.

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That's right: 30 years is well over 5 years (the latter mentioned because it would be significant had he not already got UK citizenship).

woollani likes this.
  20. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

Apologies. By the time this got through moderation it was too late to edit and correct the typos.