1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Catalonia declares independence! Moment in History! where are you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Did I specify what type of bears Jude?:D

2. Brunel

Brunel Occasional commenter

Although my earlier point wasn't serious it got me thinking. I don't know much about Spanish politics but I do know something about Spanish football and how mad-keen many (most?) Catalans are about football and about FC Barcelona in particular. If La Liga kicked them out, or threatened to, it would be a big deal.
    (Fortunately for the SNP, Scotland has its own leagues.)
    And, in general, it does show the flexibility of successive British governments on the subject of regional autonomy in a favourable light.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, dear.

Radio 4 informs me that this is the biggest event in Spain since the attempted coup in 1981. Which I had completely forgotten. If it even registered at the time. I'm not sure that it did. :(

So I suspect that independence for Catalunya will go the same way. Ask me in 2027 and I don't suppose I'll remember today either.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So the parliament has just voted... but it hasn't actually gone UDI?

So still an ongoing limbo really...

Lara mfl 05 and kibosh like this.
  5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

One catalan town, Vall d'Aran, has announced it will discuss on Monday its independence from Catalunya.

6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Planting Bulbs in the garden in this glorious sunshine

Norsemaid and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I wonder if Spain would be less keen to keep Catalunya if it was one of the poorest regions in Spain? If Extremadura wanted independence, for example.

The declaration today doesn't feel like much of milestone event, more part of long process, and simply makes me wonder what response will come from Madrid. Maybe it's very exciting if you are there though.

8. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

Why would we do that when we don't say Italia or Deutschland or Espana, or even Cumry, but we manage to name France the same way as the natives do although none of us pronounce it 'Fronce' like the French do. But I reckon no French name us as Yngland, I think they are happier with Onglaterre as their neighbour the other side of The Manche. How do you pronounce Catalunya in Catalan?

9. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

I think the Spanish need a publicity campaign to win over the undecided, I'd suggest 'Better Together', why they didnt think of it earlier rather than sending in the police, seems to be part of the problem.

10. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

Cymru!!!! :( :(;):):)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

He cant stand the EU, but is a Spanish national with the right to live in Britain and move freely between his house in The UK and his flat in Spain. I dont know his circumstances but presumably he came here 30 years ago because the Spanish economy was backwards and he came here to make something of himself. I guess if I was him Id hate the EU too, some Leavers probably wish he never came here in the first place and hope he bugers off permanently to free Catalonia as soon as possible.

12. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

Most Welsh people call it 'Wales'. Pronounced Cumry though isnt it or is it Kimroo?

13. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Why do we now say Beijing, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, etc ?Why some cities and not countries?
    (We should also go with Caerdydd, Casnewydd and Abrertawe.
    Catalunya.

14. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

At the time of the referendum there were lots of flags in the streets here (Madrid), in windows and on balconies, as though it were a World Cup final week. Oct 12th was a national fiesta so that was a kind of excuse/reason for it but it was unusual and to this outsider it seemed as much an anti-catalan display as a pro-spain one. There are still lots of flags around but far fewer than a week or two ago. Maybe it'll increase again now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I don't expect it!

16. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

pronounced Come....Ree...I would say!

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Edit: Weird - that wasn't the quote I quoted!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

Is that Cat a loon ia or Cat a lun ia?

I dont think the people who live in Casnewydd will ever call it Casnewydd. Has anybody spoken Welsh in Newport in the last 500 years? Wasnt it in England before the 1970s?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Meanwhile in Madrid....

[​IMG]

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I see Mrs May has announced that the UK will not be recognising Catalan independence (she presumably wants to keep Madrid on side in the hope that they don't annex Gibraltar or put a spoke in Brexit).

Lara mfl 05 likes this.