1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CAT4 help!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by lydiarose, Jul 19, 2019.

1. lydiarose

lydiarose New commenter

The lady I tutor for has asked me to find out what the CAT4 will look like and source necessary materials. Can anyone help me with this? I’ve come from State Primary and not heard of them before today.

Thanks in advance!

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

3. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

?!

CAT is a Cognitive Abilities Test. It is designed to assess a student's strengths and weaknesses in terms of verbal/non-verbal/spatial reasoning, and uses this to determine likely future attainment in various curriculum subjects. The questions are like those encountered in IQ tests.
    I'm not sure what the tutee might be taking the CAT for, but I can only assume it might be being used as an entry assessment similar to the 11+.
    Although these types of assessment might get easier and less confusing by having encountered similar types of questions previously, CATs are not something that can/should be coached for!

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

You're right, of course, but parents don't care that their child will be placed in a set that has work that's too hard for them, leading them to struggle and ultimately get demoralised. They just need to make sure they are in the TOP SET because they have PAID for this to happen.

5. ogover

ogover New commenter

Year 7 often sit them soon after starting in September and the results are used to place the pupils in sets as some secondary schools do not trust the Year 6 SAT results to give them an accurate picture of a pupil's ability due to hothousing in Year 6.

6. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

If it's for year 7 then I'd do year 6 maths and English with them and dip into some 11+ or 12/12+ verbal and non verbal reasoning.

Make sure they are fast and confident with times tables and related facts, fractions, decals percentages and place value. Working on vocabulary helps too.

7. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

Ah, yes, of course, I hadn't thought of parents simply wanting their child to be in the top sets!

And the reference to knowing times tables etc... Most of the test is time limited by section - so the more time you spend answering questions, the fewer you will be able to complete in the given time, like most formal assessments. However, I forgot to mention that some elements of the test are timed per question (as I recall - though I've not administered one in a while, so could be getting mixed up!), so being able to do things like times tables and simple mental arithmetic calculations at speed can be an advantage. Other than that, I'm not sure that Y6 English and Maths (curriculum content or SATs-style preparation) would be particularly relevant to this situation.