1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cat owners, upset neighbour. Advice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I hate cats.

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

weird and unpleasant
    odd really, on opinion you come over as rational

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

We all have our foibles. I wouldn't ever dream of hurting a cat (even when picking up their mess), but I don't like them.They look at me like they are planning something. I suspect that they would maul me as soon as look at me...

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I gave permission for my neigbour to set the hose on her. Also coffee grounds and orange peel is supposed to put them off.

5. lurk_much

Fair enough.
    Being a lot bigger than them is probably a good thing.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

That's what they want you to think... [​IMG]

7. If there is poo in the middle of the lawn, it might be a hedgehog.

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

*checks the lawn*
    Nope, midgey. It is most certainly poo.

9. Ho ho ho.....you know what I mean! hedgehogs poo on the go as it were.

10. It would have to be one muckle big hedgie!

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Hedgehog poo is nothing like cat poo. It's black and sticky (and equally disgusting). I love the idea of a cat owner giving their neighbour 'permission' to squirt it gently from a plant spray. I'd have the supersoaker out. And what has the neighbour's dog barking got to do with anything? I'm fairly tolerant but I don't think that gives me any right to upset my neighbours.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I love my wee cat dearly but I would be quite happy for my neighbour to spray water with whatever came to hand if he was messing their garden. I can't jump over the fence with him to check up on him!! I'm way too small, not to mention a tad elderly for that kind of activity! [​IMG]

13. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

It's not about giving permission, it's about being co-operative and giving ideas about how to discourage the cat from coming in the garden. My cats HATE water and drenching them is unnecessary. I use the plant spray in the house to 'train' them not to scratch on furniture etc and that's all that's necessary, they don't like it, if it happens repeatedly they'll stop coming. The supersoaker is not needed and if I went out and drenched their pet every time it bothered me they wouldn't be happy. But somehow, people seem to think it's fair game to be horrible to cats, but not dogs.
    The dog barking disturbs me, It wakes me up every single morning of my holidays/weekends. When they are out at work during the day, the dogs bark constantly whilst I'm trying to enjoy my quiet solitude. I don't go making a fuss or throwing things at the dog when it's in their garden barking. I am tolerant....barking is what dogs do. They should be similarly tolerant of other pets' habits and attempt to discourage them in a humane way, using the least unpleasant means possible.
    I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested deliberately upsetting neighbours.

14. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

No problem with cats myself except when they make a racket. Downstairs from me have two which much as the families daughters would like them to, do not get on. Result? Cat fights at any time from 1am onwards. That's far worse than a bit of poo.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Quite a few seem to think it doesn't matter very much.

If my pet bothered other people and I did nothing about it I'd think they were quite within their rights to take whatever humane methods were necessary in order to reduce the bother. Just because you are tolerant doesn't mean you can expect other people to be tolerant of your cat's revolting habits. If I wanted my hens to free range in the garden I would fence it so they couldn't get out. It would cost a fortune but lots of back yard chicken keepers do it because they wouldn't think it acceptable to let their hens trash other people's gardens.

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You should get your neighbour a couple of these and a supply of batteries. You will need two 9v batteries for each unit and they need replacing every few weeks.
    [​IMG]
    Put a litter tray in your own garden and put fresh litter each day after scooping out poo and burying it in your own garden.
    Keep your cat indoors in the evenings and early mornings to reduce the number of wild birds it kills.
    Or you could do what everyone else with a cat does and let it pollute the neighbourhood and decimate the local wildlife.[​IMG]

17. lurk_much

We have had this conversation several times in the past, you know there are responsible owners, it is time to put the prejudice away.

18. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

I'd also like to add that not all cats are killers! One of mine I could safely say has never caught anything in his life, he's such a lovely gentle little cat! However, I do agree some are more prone than others! I've only had mice in the past!

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Lurk, I've stated above what I feel is responsible.
    How many cat owners supply their neighbours with batteries, btw?

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Actually, I'm really fond of cats in themselves. I often stand outside my back gate trying to explain to my neighbour's cat why she is not welcome in my garden, what with the blue ****' nest box and all. She miaows pitifully (I think she's putting it on), pleading to come in.
    I have one of those motion detecting noise things, but it costs a fortune in batteries.