1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cat owners, upset neighbour. Advice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Mar 19, 2012.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

To all cat owners, I have had a complaint from my neighbour about my cat using his garden as a litter tray.
    She has only just started going out, is there anything I can actually do to stop her using his garden?

2. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

To all cat owners, I have had a complaint from my neighbour about my cat using his garden as a litter tray.
    She has only just started going out, is there anything I can actually do to stop her using his garden?

3. madwoman

madwoman New commenter

put the litter tray in a corner of your own garden. She will get used to using that area then

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

[​IMG]#
    And provide 24hr clean indoor litter too.
    Tell your neighbour this is what you are doing.
    You can't actually do more.
    And it is only reasonable to do your best not to polute the neighbourhood.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

no, and nor should you. you are not responsible for your cat's actions in the same way you would be for your dog's. your neighbour can't do anything - in fact, they can't even really make a complaint.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Surelu it would be more neighbourly at least to try!

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Just because you don't have a legal responsibility doesn't mean you don't have a moral responsibility. And if you don't try and stop your cat doing this your neighbour might take matters into their own hands.
    I'm fed up with cats pooing on my lawn. I thought they were supposed to bury it! None of the ones round here seem to understand that. Luckily my chickens are pretty scary to cats. The stupid cats think they can catch a chicken and get a rude awakening when they discover that actually a chicken is quite a big, scary, pecky and bold animal. But we still get the occasional cat poo and they really are foul. It was particularly annoying when I was pregnant and had to wait for my husband to get home and clear it up. I like cats but it's really not fair to expect a neighbour to put up with fouling.
    It's interesting how different people are. I was telling the vet how I'd rehomed my cockerels as they were noisy and I didn't want to upset the neighbours. She told me quite cheerfully that she gets lots of complaints about crowing from her neighbours and seemed to think it was quite funny.

8. lurk_much

Yes and much safer for your cat.
    Some people will poison cats.

refusing to accept responsibility is antisocial.

9. emilystrange

cats do what they will, regardless of how many litter trays they have or other training. we had a litter tray when the little ones were just learning go outside and be independent. they soon started ignoring it. why come in for a poo when there's the whole world to poo in? (having said that, my uncle's cat does come in for that, then back out again. strange animal all round.)

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I totally aree that you should at least try to encourage the cat to go on your property. As a gardener it is beyond revolting to put your hands into a pile of cat poo and they are also a real pain scratching up seedlings and young plants, I would feel way more tolerant if I knew the owner was trying to help and not just ignoring the fact that their pet is ruining other people's enjoyment of their gardens.

11. You could also suggest to your neighbour that they put lion dung down at certain points in their garden - this will be highly off putting to your cats, and the neighbour will know where they have put it so it will avoid the poo on hands problem! If you were feeling very conscientious you could even offer to buy it for them.

12. As above and offer to clean it for them.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You've reminded me why I'm not keen on many cat owners.
    If the OP didn't have a cat, the neighbour wouldn't have a problem. The OP gave the neighbour a problem by getting a cat, she could remove the problem by getting rid of the cat. Why should others have to accommodate some peoples desire for irresponsible pet keeping?

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

[​IMG]

15. emilystrange

the cat is a law unto itself, which is pretty much enshrined in the law. nothing an owner does, except turning it into a house cat, will stop it pooing where it wants to.
    a cat crapping in a garden is not, quite honestly, the end of the world. rats do it, mice, birds, foxes, and countless other things. it's far less offensive than dog **** in the street, which is done by dogs that are trainable and owners that are actually 'controlling' their dogs when they do it.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Another typical cat owner response.
    The neighbour clearly finds the cat sh.it offensive even if you think it's ok and whatever the law says. As a gardener I've had some nasty close encounters with cat sh.it in ways that have never happened with any other animal, wild or a pet. What anything else does is irrelevant, this is an introduced problem. I think the neighbour should deliver the cat sh.it back over the fence - it's not that bad you know.

17. lurk_much

wrong, cats are idle, they consistently take the line of least resistance. Turn over three square metres of soil in your garden, throw two bags of bark mulch on top, stir and rake regularly. The cat will use the perfect patch withour demur evermore.
    Leaving **** unburied on a lawn is a different behaviour, it signifies disputed territory.

18. My neighbours choose to have cats . I choose not to. So for so good.

I regularly have to to collect a carrier bag full of er waste and dispose of it.

It smells,it's vile and it makes me heave. I have abandoned my herb garden because it became a toilet for cats.

19. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I've told my neighbours that they are more than welcome to chase my cats from their gardens by clapping loud and stamping, or even spray a little water at them using a plant spray. For my part, I have an indoor litter tray and I don't let my cats roam at night, ensuring minimal need to use gardens as a litter tray.
    This is the most I can do. I dont complain about my neighbour's dogs barking early in the morning, all day whilst they are out and late at night. So if they want to complain about my cats, I remind them of this.

20. I have to cover any area I dig and provide alternative freshly dug areas or the cat just uses my flowerbeds as litter and scrapes up seedlings and burns young plants. He sticks to the areas I dig over which are behind conveniently placed bushes in "dead" spaces in the garden. There's nothing worse than a handful of cat **** when you are weeding so I would try some of the suggestions if I were you.