1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cat owners, do you buy Whiskas sachets in Jelly?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have made the decision to withdraw all soft food for the next fortnight. I will make sure they have plenty of water. But I'm not allowing this to go on. Either I'm being conned by the cats or by Whiskas. We'll see what the cats will eat after a fortnight of Hills Science plan oral care which, in case anyone is interested, can be purchased from Petsupermarket with good reductions. I've had enough!

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Make them eat the mice they catch.
    Start a thread on Cookery asking for cat food recipes and see what transpires.

3. I've tried that idea but the howling they make drives me insane and I end up feeling sorry for them. Good luck.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Please don't tell me that!

5. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I would love to buy any cat food at the moment as my poor old boy had a tumour in his face and had to be put to sleep last August.
    At the age of 22yrs, I had had him longer than my husband and longer than my teenage son. Seriously, it was like losing my first born. I'm getting weepy just typing this.
    Have found myself in the pet food aisle no end of times in my local supermarket and have imagined I have seen him in the garden etc.
    I did find that my guy changed his tastes over the years...a bit like us adults I supose.
    I have thought about getting a new kitten but it's all too raw still. I'm normally a fairly grounded person but this has hit me hard.
    Good luck with the food hunt.

6. Oh dear we do sympathise. It is so hard. I really would try to get another though - they do help to ease the pain, they really do. We still miss our little one who we lost a couple, probably three years ago. But it is such fun having a kitten.

7. ((((mychuck))))
    I lost my beloved dog last year and vowed to have no more pets again. it hurts too much when they go - however, I have acquired an oldish mutt (elderly owners couldn't cope with him) and a kitten has acquired us. It is true that they help to take the pain away.
    Kitten eats dry kitten whiskas with gusto but just licks the gravy off the bits in the sachets. Dog gets the bits. Everybody happy.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Years ago when we had a cat, I was surprised to discover that the cost of cat food was twice that of dog food so I bought him some cans of dog food. The little sod wouldn't touch it. My friend who has a couple of aging Siamese cats has recently discovered they've gone off the cat food they'd always had and will now only eat the scraps from the dinner plates. Oh... and the occasional baby rabbit they catch in his paddock.

9. I'm so sorry, mychuck. 22 is an amazing age. I lost mine at 18. It will help getting a new kitten.
    I don't waste the leftovers either, the birds love the dried up crispy food that the cats don't eat.

10. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Begs the question of whether that would put the cats off eating those birds...

11. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Thanks everyone for your kind words.
    I did like the Whiskas Christmas advert with the silver tabby and I think if I had another one it would be a silver tabby. I've even thought of two names... either Jasper or Cobweb, but I haven't taken that next step yet.
    My previous cat was 21yrs when she died of liver failure and I had already got my boy as a kitten then. In fact I was looking after my mother's cat whilst she was on holiday and the first night she was away it gave birth to three kittens!! My boy was the baby of the bunch and I watched him being born.
    I always used to say if I had another kitten, I'd have a ginger tom called Jaffa; but that Whiskas kitten was sooooo cute.
    Thanks to the poster for the story about an old mutt and the kitten sharing their food ...it made me smile.

12. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
    My previous cat was 21yrs when she died of liver failure but I'd already got my boy as a kitten then. In fact I was looking after my mother's cat whilst she was on holiday and the first night she was away her cat gave birth to three kittens!! My boy was the baby of the bunch.
    I did like the Whiskas Christmas advert with the silver tabby and I have thought that if I had a kitten it might be a silver tabby. I've even chosen two potential names...either Jasper or Cobweb.
    i've just not taken the plunge yet.
    Thanks for you stories especially about the 'mutt' and the kitten sharing food. It's made me smile.

13. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Sorry this posted twice in two different forms. Not sure why??