1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cat owners, do you buy Whiskas sachets in Jelly?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Have you noticed that lately there is no jelly and that your cats have gone off it? It was 2x 12sachet boxes for £5 in my local Sainsbury's so I got 8 boxes at vast expense and now the c ats are turning their noses up at it and I don't blame them. I reckon Sainsbury's has bought a job lot of a dodgy batch. Can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Have you noticed that lately there is no jelly and that your cats have gone off it? It was 2x 12sachet boxes for £5 in my local Sainsbury's so I got 8 boxes at vast expense and now the c ats are turning their noses up at it and I don't blame them. I reckon Sainsbury's has bought a job lot of a dodgy batch. Can anyone shed any light on this?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Mine has gone off Felix at the moment

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Mine have too and they loved the Whiskas when I first bought it. I'm going to call their bluff and just make them do with Hills Science plan oral care crunch and water.

5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Mine will eat Felix sachets but not the tins. Come to think of it, she has turned her nose up at Whiskas fish in jelly lately, used to eat the jelly and leave the food !
    Have taken to buying sachets in sauce and she's OK with that, when she deigns to come home ( been gone since Sunday evening, this is starting to become frequent .....)

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

My cat will eat any old thing I give him: I buy Morrison's own cat food tin in jelly, or that Butcher's stuff that's a bit cheaper. If Whiskas or Felix is on offer, I'll buy those. The meat content is exactly the same, but it's far cheaper.

7. Morning Nutty. Can't help I'm afraid, although I did notice the Whiskas in jelly sachets weren't as 'juicy' as others, when we last had them. My cat went off Whiskas a while ago, and as I am on an economy drive he has been having the cheapo Claude pouches from Tesco. I tried him on Lidl's pouches too and he wolfs them down. My big ginger Tom eats me out of house and home...(four sachets a day plus dry food????) so I am mightily relived I can fob him off with the cheaper brands. [​IMG]
    I dare say he'll turn his nose up at them eventually.That's cats for you.

8. I bought some of the fish in jelly when it was on offer recently and one cat licked the jelly off but left the actual chunks. the other cat cleared up her leftovers.

9. My cats don't seem to care TBH. However I have not bought Whiskas for several years, as I could not stand the smell of it. I buy either Felix or Waitrose own which do not seem to have much of a smell. Recently we have moved from pouches to foil trays. The cost is the same but there appears to be an even greater level of enthusiasm.
    I have to be very careful where I store pouches. If they get access during the night they help themselves. One morning I came down to 7 empty patches on the kitchen floor. No, they were not Whiskas pouches.

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I find myself saying things like
    "Daisy, don't lick the jelly off, you will spoil it for everybody else!"
    which amuses me no end.

11. You made a fatal error... you stocked up on cat food when it was on special. That automatically makes a moggy go off the food they've been eating happily for years. Did you not read that secret feline rulebook?!

12. hoof_hearted

hoof_hearted New commenter

Something has changed, and its a funny colour too. My mogs are still eating it though :-D

13. landaise

I had to laugh at the comment about stocking up: we had just bought a pack of 40 sachets, plus two packs of 24 ( so 88 in total ) and she disappeared for a week !
    And when we're running out, she'll stuff loads down ( 4 a day plus dry food, but then she is a conutry cat and is out all night )

14. My cats get tired of food after a week so I have to chop and change weekly. They are meant to only be on Science Plan but 2 of them refuse to eat it unless it is from a brand new bag even though I keep it all in an airtight container. They tend to eat jelly or gravy first, lumps later and generally leave lumps to go dry and then complain. They always seem to prefer sachets to tins and at the moment they are enjoying steamed fish and grilled meat sachets which are Whiskas.

15. I tried my three on whiskers last week. My ginger tom was sick straight after eating it. While I was in the kitchen getting the stuff to clean it up, my other two scoffed the sick/chewed food up off the carpet [​IMG]

16. landaise

Kitty recycling ?

17. Well it certainly made the cleaning up process a lot quicker!!

18. My cat isn't really supposed to have wet food, as she is a bit on the cuddly side, but she won't eat all dry.
    She has never been keen on the foods with jelly in, so we always buy the ones in gravy for her.
    She is a fussy eater though - I think they can be.
    I know people say you shouldn't really chop and change pet food, but as one expert said, "Wouldn't you go off food if you got the same thing every meal time?"

19. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Particularly if it consisted of a meat in jelly [​IMG]

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I would, I expect, but I'm not a cat. I reckon they do well to get the variety they do get with all the different flavours and with the Science Plan crunch. They are too fussy by half. Spoilt bratcats!