1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cat help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by joli2, Jul 3, 2011.

1. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I had to take a little cat in yesterday, in an emergency and she's ensconced herself behind the curtain and hasn't come out for food/drink/wee for getting on for 18 hours now. I've moved the food nearer the curtain in the hope she'll at least eat something. Is there anything else I can do except wait till she comes out or quietly expires?

2. Oh poor little thing :(
    Are you intending on keeping her? If not I would ring the cats protection league/RSPCA/PDSA and ask for their advice - she may need vetinary treatment, and if you are not intending on keeping her you shouldn't have to pay for it. If you are intending on keeping her, I still think a vets visit is needed.
    What was the situation that warranted her needing to be rescued? Did she appear injured in anyway? Do you have a quiet spare room you can put her in where she will not be disturbed and there is little noise? You could then leave some food and water out and just leave her on her own the majority of the time - you may find little bits of the food go when you are not there.
    Its a very kind thing that you have done, and it may take a long time for her to come round and you will have to be very patient and calm with her - try encouraging her to play but dont try to stroke her etc yet. But I do definately think a vets trip to make sure there are no serious medical issues is necessary -get your cat box ready, put yourself some gardening gloves or similar on, and try to caatch her with a towel incase she panics and scratches and get her into the box. Dont worry if she hisses and spits etc, thats what frightened cats do. Keep talking to her softly and soon she will realise you're not going to hurt her.
    I hope all goes well for you and for her.

3. My mum experienced the same thing with one of the cats she fostered recently. The most nervous of the pair hid for just over a day and then hunger got the better of her. Mum put the food on the window sill fairly near where the cat was hiding and kept the room really calm and quiet. She spoke gently to the cat now and then so that they could bond.
    It's still a neurotic and nervous cat though and it runs for the hills when it sees anyone other than my mum!

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Poor little cat. Is she injured/poorly? When our cats are feeling bleh they get posh expensive sachets from Waitrose... they don't eat it as such, but licking the gravy off is cat heaven, apparently. Cat milk floats their boat too. If you can get hold of a Feliway plug-in then that could calm her down. I'd be concerned that the cat needs to see a vet though.....

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

No, she's not injured or ill, she's my son's cat and he can't look after her at the minute. I've put her in the room that's least used, but you have to walk through it to get to the kitchen. I did hope she'd have snuck out for some food during the night, but no luck.

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Awww, the poor thing! I agree that it's probably wise to call the RSPCA for advice. However, if you've placed food and water close to where the cat is hiding and you keep the room and house quiet and calm, it should come out eventually, in its own time, when it feels ready.
    That said, cats do tend to hide themselves away when they are feeling very unwell. It may be that you have to grab the cat and get it to a vet to have it looked at. My cat, who sadly was killed a few weeks ago, once didn't eat or go outside for over 24 hours. I took him to the vet and he had a temperature of over 40 degrees! He was admitted to the vet surgery and monitored, given an IV because he was dehydrated and was prescribed some Metacam, which is a general all-purpose cat anti-biotic. Nearly £500 (thank god for insurance) and many blood tests later, the vet could find nothing much wrong with him. We don't know what causes the high temperature, but he got better.
    So, in short, get the cat to a vet as soon as you can.

7. Metacam is amazing stuff. One of my cats once had tooth pain and was booked in to have a tooth out but was so miserable in the meantime...a dose of metacam and she was flying around the house!

8. Leave her to it.

One of my foster cats settled himself on top of the wardrobe in my bedroom and I didn't see him move for 3 months.

Obviously he must have got down at some stage but I never saw of heard him.

Do make sure she knows where the litter tray is though

9. 3 months! You must have thought he'd never settle in.

Some good advice already given, but just wanted to say that Metacam is a pain killer and anti inflammatory.

10. She will come out in time :)
    Maybe try putting something really tasty down for her like smoked mackerel, that may be tempting enough to get her to eat.
    You could also try hand feeding her a little bit of it, which may help her trust you. You can buy a little cooked one, really cheaply in Tesco's, or somewhere similar. If you heat it a little in the microwave, it will smell more appetising to her.

11. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Eldest son is under the table next to the curtain/cat and has managed to coax her to eat a bit. Maybe his voice sounds similar to the son who owns the cat.

12. That sounds promising Joli :) A day really isn't that long for her to be hiding in the scheme of things, especially if she is eating a little. She will get there in her own time :)

13. He was settled, quite happy looking down at me as if I was his servant.

14. When I got my cat we had one of those delightful brick built TV areas which had a slot for your video machine (very very 1980s)... moggie holed herself straight up in there and refused to come out for a week before Operation Tuna was successful.
    Even now if she feels insecure she'll find a hidey hole - we make sure when we move that ALL possible hideyholes are blocked before unleashing the cat - it's just part of her personality and how she reacts to change.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A friend of mine took in a rescue cat from the RSPCA and it hid under her freezer in the utility room for a week! They hunted high and low, very confused as no door or window had been left open. Eventually he was found and he did come out from under the freezer (it was a big chest freezer).
    Now he is as bold as brass and walks around like he owns the place!

16. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Thank goodness, she's out now and tentatively exploring the house. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.