1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cat help please...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mandinie_2000, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hello,
    My husband and I are looking to get our first cat, ideally adopting one from the RSPCA that we've met. The lady informed us that he was left with them having been abandoned at a vets following an operation.
    He was hit by a car about 6 months ago and broke his pelvis, however we were told he is now back to full health and we didn't notice any limping or signs of discomfort.
    My question is: if we were to adopt this lovely cat, are we likely to experience lots of problems stemming from his injury? (he's currently 3-4 years old)
    If this is the case, it won't necessarily stop us from adopting him but it would be sensible for us to be prepared.
    All comments appreciated!

2. As a massive cat lover and adopter of many, I'd say go for it. Cats are magnificent healers and I doubt he'll show any signs whatsoever. Sounds like he needs a lovely person like you to take care of him!

3. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Our moggy was knocked over when she was 1 and had to have a hip replacement as a result. She lived to the grand old age of 17 and didn't have a single problem with her hip in that time.
    Go for it!

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

My aunt has four quite shy kittens in her yard. Left there by a farm cat and generally black and white. Poirot is already spoken for but there are three left to home. They will need some taming and a quiet space to start off with. Peak District - PM me if you are interested

5. I completely agree. [​IMG]
    You may end up with a cat who needs lots of tlc when he gets older...and maybe pain killers from the vet, (because like older humans animals get aches and pains too as they age) but you'll be rewarded many times over by the love a moggy will show you in return for a warm bed, food and cuddles.
    At four, if he has recovered well, he will still be playful and alert and great company - and a joy to own I expect.
    Hope you go for it.

6. My all time favourite cat was knocked down and broke her pelvis. I was devastated as she was a real hunter, (rats mostly!) and loved being outside. The vet reassured me that within 6 months she would be back to normal completely, and so she was.
    She died many years later and never suffered any problems from her hip at all. The only thing l would suggest is to get 2 cats! And that despite the fact that my two cats loathe each other.....
    After 3 years they are begining to tolerate each other slightly! Good luck and enjoy your pet.
    Penny

7. My cat was knocked over and had to be keep in until all her multiple injuries were well healed (two weeks !) As soon as we let her out she had jumped onto the garage roof before we could stop her.
    Yes go for it ! They are usually very grateful.

8. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

My sister was adopted by a mog that had been mowed down several times. He had three legs, wonky paws, wired jaw and a bionic bladder. He could run faster than any 4 legged fellow fur ball and was adored by men who thought him a bit of a hero. His previous owners had spent thousands on him vet wise, but after he decided to move houses he didn't cost another penny.
    He died of old age at 22 lying in a sunbeam [​IMG]

9. Such lovely, encouraging messages. Thanks!

We've just heard we've been given the go-ahead by our building's management (we live in a mansion block, 1st floor but with ourdoor access from a rear door, plenty of roaming area!) however, as it's officially against the lease they've said if anyone complains then they'll have to enforce the 'no pets' rule... EEK!
    Having not owned a cat before (although my husband has had a family cat for 19 years) I'm a bit concerned as to what people could complain about... There are cats already living in the apartments around and they yowl at night every now and again but I'm assuming noone has complained so far as the management would have said 'no' straight away.

Worried now...

10. In my experience, most people object to cats' habit of digging and pooing in their gardens

11. Such a good point. Rescue cats are always grateful [​IMG]

12. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

Er... no, I don't think so. Actually, I'd definitely have to disagree on that point. Mine has moments of unpredictable aggression, he costs me a fortune in vets bills, and doesn't win many friends with the neighbours either. Essentially, there's just not a lot of gratitude there...
    But don't let me put you off - I reckon I'm just VERY unlucky. There are lots of gorgeous cats out there who are just waiting for loving homes to go to. I remind mine of this almost daily.
    I'd say go for it - this cat surely deserves a second chance.

13. Oh...another thing. Make sure he has been neutered. (I assume he has been...) Tom cats tend to become big smiley, purring bundles of fluff who prefer sofas to night games. They become more like house cats when they've had their bits cut off. You have to pretend they are strong alpha males of course, but mine has no brain cells so is happy to behave like a soppy dog. We don't tell him he's got it all wrong...
    Your management team have obviously had no complaints...and you have told them you're getting a cat. That's promising. You'll keep your new pet in for a while anyway at the start, so he becomes used to his surroundings and knows who to come to for food.. If he knows where his food bowls are he'll settle quickly. [​IMG]

14. Ooh - that brought a tear to my eye - would that we could all go in such a way - a bit older, obviously, though!

15. I thought that was a lovely ending and a sweet expression too phoebe. A fitting way for him to go phatsals...basking in the warmth like a lion on the plain...... *sniff*

16. Sorry - that was in reply to this - otherwise it looks a little cryptic!

17. Why do you mention this? The OP seems to be pretty committed to the rescue cat she's already seen.

18. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

because the thread will attract the attention of some cat people and may inspire someone to get a cat or three. My aunt will be wintering in Italy and it would save the kittens from a hard winter if they were adopted / plus I will be going round a few times a week for five months to dump down some cat biscuits and that will be a bind.
    Is that okay?

19. As a fosterer I agree. Some cats are lovely and loving. One I had, Venus, had no one to look at her for a year and the first person to come see her was attacked, it took another year and a lot of hard work to rehome her.

To the OP - check if vets bills are covered because of his previous problems. At Cats Protection if you take on a cat with a health condition the costs for that condition are picked up by Cats Protection for the rest of the cat's life.

Re the farm cats - if they have never been indoors in a house it might not be the best thing to rehome them unless you know a friendly farmer with a barn, you have a very short window, about 2 - 8 weeks to introduce kittens to new things and if being indoors is new it can stress them quite a lot. If we have young kittens in (usually accompanied by mum) then volunteers are encouraged to expose them to as many different things as possible, children, adults, people of different colours, hights, other animals, a collar, different cat litteretc etc.