1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cat gone missing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by landaise, Jan 18, 2011.

1. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Our cat went out on Saturday, late afternoon, and has not been back since. This is the longest she's been away, previously has gone off for about 36 hours but always comes back. Would you think this time she's not coming back ?

2. Oh no, I do hope she does come back soon.
    My mum had a cat who disappeared for about a week - she was quite old, so we thought she might have taken herself off to die. But no! She had actually been hit by a car and had a broken leg and dragged herself back. We came down one morning and there she was at the back door. She couldn't manage to drag herself through the catflap - but she managed to jump onto the washing machine to find her food bowl!!
    She was all fixed up and went on for many more years! Although I do also hope your cat's not injured either, and is just having a bit of an extended wander.

3. landaise

Thanks, we live in the countryside so she wanders about everywhere and could be some distance from home, all we can do is wait, I suppose, too difficult to know where her favourite haunts are. I'm also concerned because she'd injured her front paw last week and was limping.

4. Hope your cat returns safe and well.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My cat disappeared, totally out of character for him, and was missing for several days. I feared the worst.
    It was several days of torrential rain and when he finally appeared back through his catflap he was almost totally dry, very dusty and very, very hungry and thirsy. He had almost certainly been locked inside a garage or some such, which often happens. He went on and on about it for ages, too, as if trying to say 'I was bloody locked in and you didn't come and rescue me!'
    Don't give up hope just yet.

6. landaise

Thanks for the support, she's not yet two years old, but is very independent, always likes to be outside. It's pouring down today so I hope she's taken shelter somewhere. I know they can go off for days, but this is double what she's done before, usually comes back when hungry, the greedy little madam !

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Our Bradley sneaked into a neighbours house and then hid amongst the beams in her living room ceiling. He was there three days before she noticed. I did ask the airhead several times if she might have the idiot beast about the place but she assured me he never entered her house.
    Finding a cat in countyside is impossible. I have tried. I hope she turns up okay. I three quarters expect your next post to be positive. Unfortunately it is all too easy to focus on the other 25%. I know how unpleasant the anticipation of finding a body is, it is most distressing.
    Give her another few days and keep asking around.

8. I once had a cat that disappeared for over a year!! We had entirely given up hope, when one day the cat returned, hardly recognisable (his black coat had turned a sort of rusty colour) but responded to his name immediately.
    He was right as rain after a bit of pampering!
    (Hope yours doesn't stay away for so long)

9. First couple of days after going missing, your cat will still be in the local area, but may be disorientated.
    You need to get yourself outside, front and back and loudly call your cat repeatedly every half hour without fail. This will help your cat to locate you if she is lost
    Start now.

10. ANy news? I think there are probably far more "MY cat went missing and came back after a few days" stories than the other sort. Mine went on Sun pm and came home on Tues, having had a short holiday in a neighbour's garage. Another just went for a few days and came back none the worse. I always feel better going out in the evening to have a shout, it seems quieter and I feel as if I would hear them better. Hope it is good news soon, it is an awful feeling.
    X

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Female cats don't wander very far as a general rule, but if a cat has been frightened or possibly ill and has gone to ground it may not respond to your calls if you go looking for it. That shouldn't stop you calling for it or asking to look in neighbouring gardens/fields. I'd suggest you leaflet any houses within 500 yards with a picture of the cat and a polite request to check any sheds or outbuildings.

One of our cats, a fat food fiend who turned up on time for every single meal, once went missing. We leafleted all the local houses and I went looking in nearby gardens and open spaces. We contacted local vets and cat refuges with details in case she'd been injured or displaced and someone thought she was a stray.

She came wandering back in after 24 hours, and we never worked out to this day where she'd been. I'd never seen her more than 100 yards from the house at any time before.

I really hope it works out for you.

12. magic surf bus

Also - cats can manage for a very long time without food and water. Don't assume the worst too soon.

13. We managed to release a cat from our garage on Saturday. He had been in there for at least 6 days but was frightened by the electronic doors and was hiding up in the rafters. Fed him fish, tuna, herrings and finally enticed him out tthe side door with a tin of salmon. He looked really fit and shiny as he went on his way!. No lost notices about and no-one we talked to had heard of a missing cat. I really hope he found his way home.

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

*goes off to check garage... just in case*
    Fingers, toes, eyes, legs crossed she comes back soon, llandaise.

15. magic surf bus

Likewise, myself and others once had to break open a neighbour's garage while he was on holiday to get a trapped cat out. We repaired it afterwards - sort of.

For intelligent crafty creatures, cats can be bloody stupid at times.

16. Oh how horrible..... I lost hope with ours after 1 week, then he returned skinny and limping- didn't leave the house for days,.. slept on my bed by my head for a few nights...I hope yours cat does the same.

17. One of my cats is as stupid as they get, she goes off and then forgets where we live. Once it gets to about a week, we call her name everytime we are out, and she normally appears not long after, and doesn't leave for a few more weeks.

The other one went missing for a couple of days once, finally appeared with a broken jaw, and some how managed to get through the cat flap!

Try not to worry, they are (mostly) very intelligent animals!

18. landaise

Lots of positive messages and stories, I've enjoyed reading them and taken some comfort , but still no sign. I've called her a lot, been out looking for her and calling all the time, but no response. My children have all come home with similar stories of disappearing cats who turn up after days/weeks but I still feel guilty for letting her out when she had a poorly foot ( thought she wouldn't go far, but she obviously did )

19. landaise

Update : she turned up at midday on Saturday, a week after she disappeared. Looked thinner, a little bedraggled but otherwise OK. VERY hungry and thirsty ( ate three 100g sachets in less than ten minutes and drank nearly a whole bowl of water )
    Since, she hasn't wanted to be out as much, in fact spent Saturday night inside when she'd normally be out all night, woke us up at 3 am to go out today but back at 6.30am. Has wanted lots of cuddles and just wants to be around us at the moment.
    I was seriously giving up on her when she turned up; thought we'd imagined hearing the little miaow then she hopped over the wall and strolled towards the house.
    We're so glad she's safe and thanks again for all your reassurances, you helped me through a trying time !

20. What good news - I am so glad this has had a happy ending. You must be very relieved.