1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cat feeding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by OCS Fan, Nov 12, 2011.

1. OCS Fan

OCS Fan New commenter

Advice needed from cat owners. What and how often should I feed my new cat (a non-chipped stray who I believe is about 6 months old)? We have been feeding her 2-3 pouches a day of felix or whiskers with some dry food, water and scraps of chicken/fish.

2. OCS Fan

OCS Fan New commenter

Advice needed from cat owners. What and how often should I feed my new cat (a non-chipped stray who I believe is about 6 months old)? We have been feeding her 2-3 pouches a day of felix or whiskers with some dry food, water and scraps of chicken/fish.

3. Some cats are fine on dry food and water. Mine have dry food down all the time, plus however many pouches they want and now and again some milk. They get food replenished twice a day, three times when the cleaner comes. It is fine to leave dry food down and then top up with pouches when they want. They generally won't over-eat. I try to put down a little less than I think they want and then add to it, iyswim, if you put down too much they just won't eat it - and they certainly won't go back and eat it later.

4. My cats are 4 and 5 and are indoor cats. They have a cup of dry food between them at breakfast time. I leave that down until about 3 pm. They then have a pouch each which vanishes within seconds, despite the fact they have left dry food.
    In the evening they have a catstick each. They go absolutely wild for these, they can hear the packet from 2 floors up.
    Maybe I am slightly underfeeding them. However they look about the right weight to me and seem very healthy.

5. It's a myth that cats won't over eat and if yours was stray and used to irregular feeding it will eat whatever you put own in case it is the last food it sees for a while. Most foods have recommended amounts printed on the back - you may need to weigh the cat (most vets do this as part of a normal check up or have scales you can use yourself if you drop in) to get the right quantity.

6. One of my cats made it up to 8kg before I started to limit the available food. Still looks big at 6.8kg.

7. I'd definitely agree with airy's advice regarding feeding stray cats. Ours was a stray and I suspect would eat all day given the opportunity! We feed her dry food twice a day according to the recommendations on the food pack based on her weight. She got a bit tubby earlier this year and so we cut her food down on the advice of the vet.

8. You should be able to see your cat's waist clearly and feel his/her ribs easily. I also speak as the owner of a previously tubby cat. Cats need vaccinations and neutering too so if you have any questions, it's best to ask the vet while you're getting all that stuff done.

9. Ours are about the same age and very energetic with access to outdoors. They have a sachet morning and evening each and 24/7 access to kitten biscuits (Gocat or similar), which they tend to woof up overnight, as well as snacking during the day. They don't like the posh, expensive kitten bics - thankfully! We've used roughly this quantity with previous kittens. Only one snag - we can't judge how much they top up on extra meals which they get outside the house!
    Yes, do ask the vet too!

10. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

You do know cats are lactose-intolerant, don't you? Even most 'cat-milk' is made from cow's milk, so still not good for them.

11. OCS Fan

OCS Fan New commenter

Planning to get him chipped and neutered once we are sure he can be ours. We took him to the vets who confirmed he is not chipped. From what age can a cat be neutered? We are not sure how old he is and have only just realised 'she' is a 'he'!!!!

12. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Most vets will neuter at about 5 months but many animal charities will neuter much younger, some as young as 8 weeks before they are rehomed.
    Even if he likes milk, I wouldn't give it to him, it isn't good for him.

13. I acquired a stray at the age of about 6 months. I had to keep her for a month before the vet would treat her - just in case the real owner turned up. After that I had her spayed, vaccinated and chipped. Your boy should be ready to be neutered about now.
    She is still a tiny cat, at the age of 18months, in spite of eating like a pig. She weighed just over a kilo last visit!
    I leave a bowl of dried food (only fishy flavour, fussy madam) out at all times and she eats nearly a full pouch a day plus chicken scraps when available. No milk, just water.

14. OCS Fan

OCS Fan New commenter

Thanks for information. We have given him a little milk but he wasn't keen. Will stick to water.

15. We have 3 cats and, despite eating the same amounts, 2 of them (mother and son) are overweight (our youngest is huge) and the other one, who is unrelated, is as thin as anything (he has thyroid problems which he is on daily medication for) and always has been a lot thinner than the other 2. Mealtimes are a battleground in our house. Each cat has 2 sachets of Senior wet food a day (at 8 am and 4 pm) and a bowl of dry food overnight. Our oldest cat also has a teaspoonful of sardine paste which he takes his thyroid tablet with. We have to separate them when they are eating as the youngest (and fattest!) cat will bully the others out of the way to eat all their food as well. We feed him in a separate room and only reopen the kitchen door when the others have finished. The mother and son are both house cats who rarely go outside which might explain their weight but we have put them on all sorts of diet plans from the vet and none of them have worked.