1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Casual Tutoring Over Summer Holidays

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by nikkichapman, Jun 12, 2012.

1. I was recently asked by a friend whether I would be interested in tutoring her friend's children over the summer holidays. I have experience in tutoring 10 children in schools as part of the one-to-one tuition programme, and I have been teaching for two years.
    I was wondering if it is legal for me to take this on myself? Would I be able to put it on my CV if so? Do I have to tell anyone about it such as my employer or the tax man? Would cash in hand be ok? I used to get paid around £25 an hour for tutoring in schools. How much would be appropriate to ask a parent to pay?
    Any advice on this issue would be much appreciated.
    Nikki

2. decj

decj New commenter

It's perfectly legal, but you will need to register as self-employed and then complete a tax return at the end of the year. No reason why you shouldn't put it on your CV. I charge £25 per hour for KS2 and 3, if this helps.
    Good luck!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You are being paid.
    Of course you need to declare it. [​IMG]

4. Hi Nikki,
    Yes, cash in hand is ok but I wouldnt be telling anyone or you can be reported.
    £25.00 is about standard per hour for tutoring. I know loads of parents willing to pay this for one to one tutoring as opposed to paying a tutoring college for group learning.
    Good luck
    Adrienne[​IMG]