1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Casual relief in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ekennedy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I am going to Melbourne to teach in July for one year on a working holiday visa. I am wondering if anyone has any information on whether it is better to go with an agency, to use the states website or to go round schools handing my CV in. I have heard bad and good things about all three and confused about which one I should use.
    Any other information or advice would be great i.e. where to live in Melbourne? Do I need a car? How much will I get paid on supply
    Thanks

2. I am going to Melbourne to teach in July for one year on a working holiday visa. I am wondering if anyone has any information on whether it is better to go with an agency, to use the states website or to go round schools handing my CV in. I have heard bad and good things about all three and confused about which one I should use.
    Any other information or advice would be great i.e. where to live in Melbourne? Do I need a car? How much will I get paid on supply
    Thanks

3. I have been in Sydney for two years and have problem after problem with the NSW department for education. Each state is different here, but to tteach in NSW, you need to be accredited by the state. This is a lengthy process. I imagine VIC will be similar so maybe you should look into that now to get the ball rolling for when you arrive in July. Good luck!

4. Oh in answer to your Q about agencies, in NSW, agencies play a very small role in casual work unlike in England. I think it is best to contact the schools directly.

5. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

You definitely need a car.

Are you registered with VIT? You'll need to be.

Get your CV round to schools rather than go to the agencies who will try to send you on courses about the VELS/VCE
    which you should read up on anyway.

Sorry, don't know anything about rates pay.

Good luck.

6. Pay in Vic was around 250 a day (but this was in 2010) I would definately recommend registering with VIT and usually with Victorian schools you can give your CV out.

7. I came over to Melboune last year and am working for a terrific agency who are a 'notch' above the rest. They supply teachers to some of the top independent schools in Melbourne. I've worked at some great schools. They also pay weekly. If you are coming over in July, schools will be heading into term 3 which is a busy term. You will need to register with the Victorian Institute of Teachers.

8. I have started the process with registering with VIT. Have you got the name of that agency? Sounds good. So would you recommend going with an agency over going directly to the schools themselves?

9. Many of the better independent schools in Melbourne have built up relationships with various agencies and source from them. You also get to work for a variety of schools and if contracts come up, the agency is first to know. The agency I joined is called Top Notch, very professional and no additional requirements of having to do various courses etc. you will need to complete anaphylaxis training, which requires an evening of participating in hands on training and a short online course which I think is a requirement for all teachers in Victoria.

10. I'm just in the proces of applying for the VIT - and just wondered if you could offer any advice who to get to certify certificates/ get Criminal Record checks etc?