1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Castro Cuba v the World BBC2

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 4, 2020.

1. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

American imperialism? Did we slip into an alternative dimension? Or is the US a founding nation of the UN, that states the principle of national self determination as the basis for international peace and order.

Name one nation the US is illegally occupying.

2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

It poses a threat to the people living under its dictatorship.

3. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Sorry

I failed to notice this prior to my earlier post to someone who stated she had worked there for 12 months.

And your conclusion based on what you saw on the 2 visits is...

4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

First time was stuck in the tourist area and although we went to downtown Havana and sone outposts we felt we were really not seeing the true Cuba. Cubans very friendly and helpful. Too many prostitutes in the hotel though and if you go with a young family it can be off putting. Still we enjoyed it very much. That was 1999.

second time 2008 we stayed on Santiago De Cuba and we saw more of real Cuba. Yes there were areas of poverty but there are around here. Things did seem in short supply but we never got the impression that Cubans were unhappy. They wanted more yes but they never seemed to want political change. Things were slowly changing since the last visit like more private enterprises. There even churches open and seemingly vibrant.

some of the talk was that big change world occur when “Fidel went” but from what I follow the change has been slow. I think through engagement Cuba will open up further but Trump has put the gear into reverse a bit. Sadly.