1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Castle topic: role play area

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TigerLily, Jun 30, 2011.

1. We put things in from the Jack and the Beanstalk story ie Hen,golden harp, golden eggs,food for giant on a big table,oven etc
    Children were very good and we had some good fun in there! Hope that helps.

2. During a Year 1 Castles topic we had a Story Telling Castle for the role-play area.
    I changed the resources to keep it interesting over time, they included:
    • dressing up clothes, props such as metal goblets, tiaras, crowns etc.
    • range of different paper including wanted posters, folded paper books
    • High frequency word lists, sound mats, story vocab mats
    • sequencing cards for traditional tales
    • biros, pencils, pens, crayons etc.
    • small world in builders tray with natural materials to make story settings
    • puppets
    • box of books (non-fiction, fantasy with castle or dragon theme, traditional tales)
    • 'washing line' string with pegs to hang up finished writing
    I would've liked a listening station too!

It was a fab topic. Sure your Year 2s will love it too!

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Mine was a throne room - covered a big chair with cushions and regal looking fabric!! There were crowns, tiaras, cloaks, dresses, knights outfits, swords and shields for them to dress up in.
    There was a jewellery box with jewels in. Also a large cardboard tower dungeon that was used a great deal!!!
    Then I enhanced the area each week depending on the focus, so for example when we looked at medieval food I put in banquet menus, invitations to a banquet, recipies etc some laminated, some on paper. When we looked at attacking castles I put in writing frames so they could write instructions - how to use a trebuchet, how to defend your castle. I also added bow and arrows. When we looked at features of castles I added blank castle plans and also floor plans of castle that are around today and so on.
    I think this was the role play the children used the most this year - all sorts of things went on in there!

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Make scrolls towrite on by staining paper with a tea bag and rolling it up. Quill pens can be made by taping a feather to a biro.

5. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

i like the idea of changing the focus each week depending on what we're covering. i wont be starting the topic bits until week 2 so to begin with i was thinking of having it as a castle tourist office type thing, so they could sell tickets, design posters and leaflets etc

6. Don't know if you have a JYSK near you but they have a great castle play tent at the mo
    http://www.jysk.co.uk/210/432/435/5800300/a/catalog