1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Castle classroom display

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Jane17371, May 20, 2011.

1. My friend did a knights and castles topic a couple of years ago and her classroom looked amazing. She had a drawbridge going into the room which I think was made of that sticky wood look laminate stuff so the kids could walk over it without it ripping. She made paper chains attaching it to the door. Inside she turned the blackboard into a giant fireplace and she made banners from material to hang from the ceiling. She also used hoop to make a candle chandelier. I think she just did these herself to create the setting and then the children made other things as part of the topic such as making their own coat of arms. A few of the activities she did included having a medieval feast and her husband came in dressed up as a knight. After doing lots of work on castles the children made castles at home with their parents and brought them in. They then had an open afternoon in the class where other classes came to look at their castles and they explained how they made them and told the visitors all about medieval castles. I can find out about the other activities she did if you need anymore ideas. Have fun!

2. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

That sounds amazing!
    Now to get back to reality ........

3. It's always lovely when people are trying to be helpful and yet you always get someone who has to mock or try to put people down! Everyone has their own approaches and ways of giving their pupils experiences and teaching intended objectives. There is no one way of delivering anything within the curriculum and I for one would never make sarcastic comments when a fellow practitioner was sharing an idea or a view, especially when ideas were asked for. I would also never presume that my way was the only way. I don't believe you saw any of this work being done or the outcome of the project but you're right it was 'amazing'!

4. Flyonthewall75

I'm sorry if you think I was being sarcastic. I was trying to make a serious point.
    The job of a classroom teacher is not to make their classroom look 'amazing'. There is a whole curriculum that needs to be delivered and creating a make-believe castle, on the scale you suggest, for one topic is hardly an efficient use of teacher time and school resources.
    As I suggested, if you want children to learn about castles then take them on an educational visit to a real castle. Unfortunately, in so much of education today glossy presentation seems to be more important than meaningful content.
    It is also important to remember that there are fire / health and safety, regulations to consider. Hanging paper and cardboard from a ceiling, close to lights, and having a tripping hazard at a classroom door may not be the best idea.
    And, no, I'm not being 'sarcastic'. I'm making a serious point.

5. If you were trying to make a serious point you should have made a serious point rather than saying 'Now back to reality.....' which is being sarcastic. If a classroom teacher wants to make their class look amazing then that is entirely up to them. Do not presume that someone who does so is not delivering the whole curriculum really well. The class in question actually did visit a castle as you suggested and got a lot from it. The classroom in question was not an example of glossy presentation but actually provided a very stimulating learning environment for the children.
    I feel that you are presuming far too much and there are other ways of of putting your point across. Of course we all have different ways of teaching and presenting our classes but I feel that it would have made more sense to maybe ask how the topic was put together, how long it took etc. rather than making presumptive statements. Also, we are actually quite aware of the fire health and safety regulations and nothing was close to lights or causing a tripping hazard.

6. Flyonthewall75

To be honest, when I first read your post I thought you were a 'troll' trying to make fun of the lengths some primary teachers will go to in decorating their classrooms. That's why I replied in the way I did.
    It just goes to show how electronic communications can be misinterpreted. I now realise you were being serious and I apologise if my cryptic reply offended you.
    If I take issue with the need to make a classroom look 'amazing', it is because I believe, rightly or wrongly, that it detracts from what is important in education.
    I am also mindful of the key-holder who is regularly called out in the middle of the night to respond to the school burglar alarm because a sensor has been triggered by a piece of classroom decoration waving in a draft or falling from a wall display. The police are also not too pleased about having to attend.
    Once again, apologies for any misunderstanding.

7. Thankyou for the apology. I honestly do know what you mean about people who make their classrooms 'look nice' with no substance but in this case it honestly isn't that. The teacher who did the castle display and myself are quite arty with displays and they honestly don't take us too long to put together. We do them after school when local clubs are using our hall and we sometimes help each other with them. Our classroom assistants are great too!
    I do appreciate your comment about aesthetics detracting from the content but we make sure it doesn't. I think there is importance in providing the children with a visually stimulating classroom too and some really benefit from this. We maybe do a couple of big displays like this a year because we couldn't do it for every topic.
    I agree totally with your comment about the key-holder and police. Our school has two floors and there are no sensors upstairs so hangings were fine. Downstairs you need to confine your imagination to the walls and corners.
    Thankyou once again.

8. A P5/6 class have just been looking at medieval times and they made personal shield, big table banners and then they split into groups to deliver a medieval fair to the rest of the school, a class at a time. There were storytellers, jugglers, jousters, jesters, criminals sentenced to the stocks, dancers, tumblers, a dancing bear and archers. Everyone had a role and really enjoyed sharing with the rest of the school.
    I'm sure that the ideal would be to take children to get a real experience of a castle but, certainly in our school, transport costs are prohibitive.

9. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Thank you to everyone for their comments. I have organised a trip to a castle but it is not for some time yet so need as many ideas as I can find. From reading the posts I feel i maybe am thinking about the look of the classroom too much but I want to make it look like a castle as I teach it.