1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Casting the net too narrowly?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lightningconductor, Oct 31, 2015.

1. lightningconductor

lightningconductor New commenter

From a survey broadcast by the BBC:
    The figures also found while 57% classified themselves as Christian, fewer than 10% actually go to church.
    During half-term, I was in conversation with a friend who works at a 'Christian' school. She was bemoaning the poor quality of candidates who presented themselves for an SLT position recently and put it down to the school's insistence that all SLT positions are filled by practising Christians (who must obtain a reference from their vicar).
    This raises a question about whether schools with religious affiliations and a consequent insistence on SLT members being drawn from that religion are restricting the quality of their management. After all, logic suggests that the 'best' candidates won't always be found in the <10% who are churchgoers.
    Is my friend right when suggested that actively excluding >90% of the potential applicants is madness? Does the ability to 'boast' that (for example) the Director of Studies is a practising Christian trump the ability to 'boast' that they were the best from an excellent group of candidates drawn from the entire cross-section of appropriately qualified and experienced teachers?
    I hope this generates an interesting debate.
    (Reposted from 'Education Dilemmas', where it didn't really fit!)

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Perhaps for them the best candidate is a Christian one because of the religious ethos.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Best to keep it 'in the family' ...