1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Casting resin

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by designer85, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I have been doing an accessories project with a year 8 product design group. Up until now we have been able to enamel, pewter cast, hand form metal/plastic and CAD/CAM. However I would like to try casting resin into silicone moulds. Has anyone tried this before in schools - did you experience any problems and any tips for the best type of resin and silicone to buy?
    Thanks

2. I think i have seen this in the mindsets catalogue - crystal polyester resin along with various rubber mould kits

3. I've done it with teenagers, but not in school....

I picked up all of my supplies from Tiranti - used them right through uni (studied a jewellery based course) and they never let me down.

Didn't have many issues, however, they were a little impatient waiting for it to cure.... Difference would be (I guess) that you'd get a few days between laying it down and them coming back for their next lesson, while I got less than 12 hours!

4. I have used silicones and resins for quite a while now. You could go to Teaching Reources to get there products or yo could go and Talk to Alchemie who have it in larger quantities. I could recommend certain grades of Silicone rubeer if you require. If you want a realy fast set solution try a product called siligum from specialst crafts it a little more expensive for the size you get but it will set within 10 mins.

5. Thanks for the replys - will have a look at your suggestions! quite looking forward to having a go myself!