1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Caster Semenya loses appeal against IAAF testosterone rules

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, May 1, 2019.

1. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Anyway let me get this straight, as this discussion has conflated athletics, intersex and trans issues.

Gender critical 'feminists' think there is a trans conspiracy that makes lesbians take hormone suppressants and later testosterone.
    Gender critical 'feminists' think that a black lesbian woman, assigned female at birth must be made to suppress her natural hormone levels before she can compete.

This one is a heady eclectic mix of transphobia, intersex-phobia, homophobia, and body-policing with an added dash of neo-colonial racism. Nice work.

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Er ... what?

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I wondered too.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Whaterver he/she was assigned at birth it seems that this person is male. He has an XY chromosomes like all males. So surely the answer is that he competes in male events with all the other males.

BetterNow likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Fnar.

A conspiracy? Is it the Illuminati or the Reptilians?

I did not see this anywhere on this thread. Can you pull rabbits from hats? I could book you for bar mitzvahs.

Well, you know, we love diversity around here.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

She's not a man. She passed an IAAF gender test nearly a decade ago. This article back then explained it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gordonfarquhar/2009/08/this_must_be_an_awful.html

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I think it is for women to decide the criteria for who may compete in women's events.

8. FrankWolley

Maybe rape trials of men should have all female juries as well?o_O

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

10. LondonCanary

Bit random that Frank. What's that to do with sport?

nomad likes this.
  11. FrankWolley

Just testing the idea you put forward in post #87. It doesn't work for me...

12. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Get a life.

nomad likes this.
  13. LondonCanary

You are pretty keen on mansplaining this issue.
    I dont think men should decide who women athletes must compete against rather than women athletes.

14. FrankWolley

I think you'd better contact the IAAF and tell them to change their structures and policies then... ;)

NB Maybe CAS too...after all men there have decided how Castor Semanya, a WOMAN (according to the IAAF rules) has to behave in order to compete...

15. Ellakits

Ellakits Established commenter

Frank, the reason Caster Semenya passed the IAAF ‘gender test’ in 2009 is because the IAAF definition of ‘woman’ and ‘female’ includes men with deformed genitals!

BetterNow and nomad like this.
  16. Ellakits

In fact, according to the IAAF’s own guidelines, an individual does not have to be classed as a biological woman in order to compete in women’s events!

nomad likes this.
  17. Ellakits

The ONLY criteria needed for a man to compete as a woman are:

a) a diagnosis of a disorder of sexual development

and

b) legal status as a woman

The reason that the majority of athletes with this condition are from poor or poorly developed backgrounds is because in the West this would be picked up by health professionals at the time of the birth.

At the very latest it would be discovered at puberty during investigations into unexpected or absent pubertal developments.

A boy who had a deformed or absent penis, plus internal testes would be put under a care pathway from birth in this country.

In a less developed country that boy is likely to be recorded as being a rather odd looking girl.

BetterNow, LondonCanary and nomad like this.
  18. LondonCanary

Another example of why such decisions should involve women athletes rather than men telling them what they must conform to.

Ellakits likes this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed.

Her condition used to be known as Testicular Feminization Syndrome, now called Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. Her genetics are that of a man (XY) but because her body lacks androgen receptors, she developed as a female with a “blind womb” (vagina, no uterus) and “intraabdominal testes”.

That does not make her biologically female.

20. FrankWolley

That's not the test carried out then. Not the reason she passed.