1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Caster Semenya loses appeal against IAAF testosterone rules

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, May 1, 2019.

1. Ellakits

Ellakits Established commenter

I imagine Rachel McKinnon will have something to say about that.

McKinnon already considers it unfair transwomen have to lower their testosterone to a level which is 5 times greater than that of XX women.

McKinnon has actually been pushing for the maximum testosterone level for transwomen to compete as women in women’s sports to be scrapped altogether.

BetterNow, nizebaby and nomad like this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

NOT natural... not natural female at any rate but natural male.

nomad likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You have to put the individual case to one side and consider the full implications.

Allowing this to happen would cause serious disruption and demotivation within women's athletics. All of the events would be put under substantial pressure and those born with chromosomal advantages would be encouraged to enter athletics due to the advantage conferred upon them.

At the same time, Caster should not be made to take hormonal treatment to bring her performance in line with other women. But with a lack of a better answer it is the only answer that both allows her to compete and does not ruin women's athletics.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I don't think you can say that. She was born with certain natural advantages, just as many other top sportspeople are.

anotherauntsally and nizebaby like this.
  5. FrankWolley

R4 discussing this topic at the moment with Martina Navratilova.

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Only way I can see this being resolved is either everyone, male, female and transgender compete directly against each other or....

......as in boxing and many sports, you have different weight classes for example.

If, as I presume, this athlete would be at the upper end of the weight scale, then at least other female athletes could do as boxers and try to shed a few pounds to avoid competing against her, whereas those who bulk up can take her on at least knowing there are some shared levels.

Caster is 1.78 cm and 73 kilos
    Allyson Felix, USA track and field star is 1.68 and 55 kilos, for example.

Even without the addition testosterone, that is quite a massive mis-match.

BetterNow and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

There is much dispute about the participation of transgender people in women's combat sports. They tend to overpower women through stamina & force disproportionate to women's weight classes:

BetterNow and dumpty like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Caster and her XY chromosomes is completely natural or are you saying that she is the result of synthetic biology? She is as she is but a trans female athlete may not be but relies on drugs to develop certain characteristics. The trans athlete could stop the drugs and see some reversion in her state giving an advantage but Caster didn't achieve while on a drug regimen or by coming off one that she had chosen to take for other reasons.

10. grumpydogwoman

Anyone like to ID this pair?

[​IMG]

11. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I am guessing that the one on the left is Fanny Blankers-Koen (sp?). The Polish woman, I do not recognise.

12. grumpydogwoman

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would agree with this and suggest that the Paralympics could expand their classifications. I think there is conflict with people who wish to self-assign and the danger that some differently abled athletes might break abled records.
    In any case I think Caster has been shockingly badly treated from the start.

14. FrankWolley

15. grumpydogwoman

I go back to #66 and @dumpty

I think that's the fairest way to do it. There'll always be complaints from someone or other but that strategy is "least worst".

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The ability to sing like Barry White may well be an advantage to her when her sporting career ends.

17. Ellakits

18. Ellakits

It’s worth noting that if a biological female raised her testosterone levels to that of Caster Semenya (a biological Male), she would be disqualified for illegal doping.

19. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

If we're going to stop naturally occurring genetic advantage in sport, then it's going to get silly. Caster is a woman who has always identified as a woman, and I find the policing of her body by the usual suspects quite distasteful.

She got lucky (in sports terms) with a genetic advantage, and does not enhance her performance by illegal means. No-one suggested binding the Thorpedo's size 17 feet.

I look forward to the usual suspects mounting a campaign to ensure DC Comics make Supergirl sew some Kryptonite into her pants.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  20. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's bad news, I'm afraid: You said that out loud.

BetterNow likes this.