1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cash...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Cashworth24, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Cashworth24

Cashworth24 New commenter

I'm moving to Abu Dhabi in 3 weeks and I'm wondering how much cash I should take with me, until I find my bearings and get registered with a bank. Can anybody offer any advice, please?

Also any advice on essentials to pack, just to get sorted for the first few days?

Thanks
    Carole x

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Hi & congrats, it really depends on what you’re going to. Is your apartment provided with a welcome pack like bedding, kitchen ware etc. Or did you pack these? Does your school provide a settling allowance of some kind? I’ll assume no by your initial question, as some schools do and then you would only need a bit. When do you get paid? As if it’s the end of August then you might only need 2 weeks worth. (My School pays from Aug 1st)

I would bring £2,000 & your cc, how did I come to this number? I just like the number and well best to be over then under.

Essentials depends on what you can’t live without, those little home comforts, Yorkshire tea & a few bags of jammie dodgers to the picture of Aunt Gertie and that special pillow or even your fav school supplies.

Either way there is always Christmas or when your family & friends come bringing you what your forgotten.

3. Cashworth24

Thanks for your help. The apartment will be fully furnished, so I don't have those things to think about and I can use my bank card to withdraw cash. I don't know about pay from the new job, I'm just assuming it will be end of Sept. as I don't start until the 24th Aug.

Fortunately I'm not a fan of tea and biscuits, but I'll be packing coffee and my cafetiere.

Thanks again,

Carole x

4. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

With the current exchange rate, you want to take as little as possible - it hit under 4.5 dirhams per pound today - that’s the lowest I’ve ever seen it (other than the day after the Brexit vote)! Are you in communication with anyone at your new school - some provide an upfront cash advance to tied you over.
    It’s great that you get fully furnished apartment - that is really all the initial outlay you need - taxis will get you everywhere you need for the first month or so until you get your bearings and decide if you want a car, provided that you are not in the back of beyond!
    Good luck - and welcome to a wonderful place to live!

Cashworth24 likes this.
  5. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I bought £1k in cash and my credit card but I also got a 25k AED relocation chewy on arrival. It's easy to get money out of cash machines etc obviously the charges will depend on your bank though.

If they give you the option try not to get anything larger than a 200 as some places often struggle to make change for 500+ notes and even 100 can cause problems in taxis sometimes. You can install Uber and Careem to get around though - more expensive than a taxi but nicer and they obviously charger your card so you don't need to have cash.

Cashworth24 likes this.
  6. Cashworth24

I don't think there's any relocation allowance, as it hasn't been mentioned. That's for your great advice though, with taxis. I was thinking how's best to order them- I have 3 days before I start work so I was wanting to get out and about. I get paid from my previous job a few days after arriving, I'll just have to withdraw, I'm with HSBC so the charges are reasonable.

I'll have 3 days on my own before work, any suggestions/must do things you would reccomend in this time?

Thanks again x

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

why isnt your school sorting any of this out for you? or are you turning up early to your induction week?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  8. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Ha, where i live you need to pay the whole year of rent in advance! No idea why that has become established culture but can be a bit of an issue.

I'd take 2K if you have it OR if you have your UK cards to help you along, maybe 1K.

Cashworth24 likes this.
  9. Cashworth24

I have a week in my new school before the children start so I'm sure they'll help with most of the big bits. I know I can't do loads without my residency permit 1st. I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared when I arrive. The accommodation is already sorted so I don't need to worry about that. Just enough cash if car hire requires a deposit and cash for smaller things, like getting by.

Thanks again x

10. Mr_Frosty

I bank with HSBC here they're pretty good in my opinion. If you open an account with them I believe you get free transfers to and from your UK account.

For taxis the number is (+971) 600 53 53 53 but it's easier to use the app - you might need a UAE number for it here's a link for iOS and Android download:
    https://itc.abudhabi.ae/en/TaxiApp.aspx

Cashworth24 likes this.
  11. Cashworth24

Yes, I'm going to open another account with HSBC as I'll need to transfer between accounts to continue paying off my loan.

That's amazing help thank you so much xx

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  12. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Just be aware HSBC in the UK and in SE Asia are different entities. Thought there would be advantages of having accounts with them in the UK and overseas but . . . there wasn't.

13. Mr_Frosty

There is here - free transfers between your UAE and UK account.

14. Cashworth24

Yeah, I just want to be able to transfer between accounts as I will still have a standing order from my UK account.

15. Mr_Frosty

Look at the Advantage account if you qualify.

16. Cashworth24

Yes I have one here in the UK, so should do over there.

Thanks again

17. cactusqueen

cactusqueen New commenter

I really wouldn't bother taking too much cash with you and paying the exchange rate in the UK. I'd load up your credit card with probably £1000, which is about 5000AED and pull out cash when you get there . If you are living in Al Reem, you will need a car pretty quickly. But you can pay for this on your credit card, which they will probably want to block a deposit as security anyway. HSBC absolutely do free transfers between UAE and UK. My school use HSBC to pay our salaries anyway and I transfer it back to the UK immediately via the phone app. If you are in a British school with a decent induction week, there will probably be a bank visiting the school to help you set up an account. Also be aware that the salary cut off date might be something like 25th of the month, so you will not get the full 2 weeks of August at the end of August but in September instead. This caught us out as we budgeted for 2 weeks wages.

18. Cashworth24

Thank you so much, I've got £500 cash and then money on my card. Yes I'll be living in Al Reem. Do you reccomend any particular car hire companies till I get my residency and can lease? Thanks again x

19. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

We came to Kuwait as a family of four on July 22nd with first payday on September 25th. We bought £4500 with us in local currency and left £2500 behind to pay for car rental and resort membership on my debit card.

which the bank promptly cancelled due to “fraud” without telling us so we were glad of the cash we bought.

We haven’t been particularly frugal and it has lasted ok. We have about £1800 in local left but start work next week so opportunity to spend will be low.

Cashworth24 likes this.
  20. Mr_Frosty

I live on Reem a d don't have a car and know quite a few people in the same boat. It depends where you work really - taxis are cheap and plentiful and Careem and Uber are reasonable too and way nicer.

Cashworth24 likes this.