1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cash-strapped parents are turning to teaching assistants for financial support

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 6, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘Teaching assistants are using their own money to help families buy school uniforms, lunches and to pay for school trips, research by Unison has found.

The union said its findings also indicated that schools were providing emergency supplies of groceries, with many running food banks for families.

Its survey of more than 4,500 teaching assistants from primary and secondary schools revealed that low-income families are turning to schools for basic support, with more than half of respondents reporting that pupils were arriving at school hungry more often.’

What do you think about the union’s findings? Are you surprised that teaching assistants are helping families in poverty with the associated costs of sending children to school? Have you or your school had to cover the costs of uniform, schools lunches or trips?

https://www.tes.com/news/teaching-assistants-pay-pupils-food-and-uniforms

2. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

As a TA I am very surprised that any TAs are giving financial help to families. After all, TAs are generally paid less than £10 per hour for approx 30 hours per week and for only 43/44 weeks of the year. We are hardly in a strong financial position ourselves and are paid less than £1 per hour more than the cleaning staff and dinner ladies.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

having been a TA and a teacher I can confidently assert that TAs earn more per hour than teachers.

5. Corvuscorax

I am absolutely furious at the amount of money I have paid out this weekend for resources I need at school which the school does not have.

6. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

...but the difference is teachers earn a far higher yearly salary to start with and can, with luck, rise up the pay scales to earn even more whereas TAs' pay is capped at a much lower maximum.

7. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Would that be a level 4 TA perhaps? Or are you working on an hours spent versus salary argument? Just wondering.

8. Corvuscorax

divide teachers hours by teachers salary, and it will come out less per hour than a TAs wage, in many cases.

9. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

All depends on how many hours teachers work at home.
    After their first year in the new year group, the hours should go down.
    If you look at a TA yearly salary probably £17k if they are level 4 and a teachers, which goes up every year starting from £22k, there is a big difference.
    Remember too that TAs are paid term time only.
    Please get real!

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm a bit confused...Why does ANY teacher or TA provide anything out of their pocket for pupils? Esp. as all parents get Child Benefit...'What are spending your CB on' should be the first question asked if pupils are coming to school hungry or inadequately clothed etc. And if no suitable response is received, contact social services...

Alldone likes this.
  11. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Spot on!

12. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, social services will be unable to do anything for a very long time. They seem to be even more cash strapped and under resourced than schools & the criteria to be taken into care is extreme.

In principal I agree with you, but when an under nourished waif of a young child has been a member of my class it is hard to not offer practical aid.