1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cash-starved Ofsted underspends budget and suggests extra inspections

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 12, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Ofsted is forecasting an underspend of £1.2 million in its 2017-18 budget despite seeing its budget slashed and says it wants to use the extra money to finance more inspections.

By 2019-20, the inspectorate will have seen its funding cut by 38 per cent, compared to the £200m in funding it enjoyed in 2010-11. But now audit-committee minutes from the schools watchdog have revealed it is on course to have money left over at the end of this financial year.

The committee has recommended that these funds should be used to “provide value for money, support delivery of our new strategic objectives and, where possible, increase the volume of inspection”.’

Do we really need more inspections? How do you feel about the prospect of Ofsted using the extra money in its coffers to finance more inspections? Is this really the best way to ensure standards in education? What about supporting teachers and helping them in positive ways to maintain standards?

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...rspends-budget-and-suggests-extra-inspections

2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

We've had all sorts of promises about changes and improvements, but I see nothing.

OFSTED are inadequate and beyond special measures.

Close it and start anew.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

More inspections are not the answer - it's just more weighing the pig hoping it will grow. Just as assessing students more frequently does not help them to learn more. A body of any use would identify things for a school to improve and then use the money to support this improvement.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Can’t we have glue-sticks instead? I need glue-sticks in my class more than I need a biased judgement by someone who hasn’t taught in the last decade.

5. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

In a period of austerity when our borders are to be defended by 'Dad's (& 'Mum's) Army, why not replace OfSTED with volunteers. As a retired teacher I'd do inspections for expenses only. And they'd be free of the pernicious ideology that I experienced too often during my career!

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If OFSTED could have their budget cut by say.. oh I dunno.. . 100%?

That'd solve a good few problems in education.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

They could always direct some resources to proper support for struggling schools so that rather than condemning them and going away, inspectors spend time in the schools showing them how to do it.

8. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I don't suppose inspectors have a clue how to do it!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sometimes I think the same thing.
    However I am aware of one former ofsted inspector who seems to spend all of her time working in schools facing difficulties.

10. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

There might be the odd one or two that can hack it but I doubt there are many.

11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

I am aware of a few but this work appears to be consultancy and mock-OFSTEDs as opposed to being useful. Nice little earner with little more to do than say "Mr Cazorla has consistently failed to mark using 3 different colours"