1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cash incentives for breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Dec 12, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I heard this on the radio. I am just in awe that the health service has the time and money to one give this cash incentive an two, monitor it.

I feel this obsession with breastfeeding is selfish and inconsiderate to those whom do not want to or cannot breastfeed.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Can we apply retrospectively?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK
    Do you mean men?

katycustard likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

"Do not want" and "cannot" are very different.

Do you really think that consideration by virtue of not paying others to breastfeed their baby is due to women who decide they don't want to do it? This will be to benefit the child. I'm not sure whether we should make such payments, but so as not upset those who choose not to seems a very trivial reason.

InkyP and calamansi like this.
  5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

In the grand scheme of things very few women cannot breastfeed.................but many cannot be bothered.
    I think it's a great idea.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

However, there are some, even if only a few, who cannot breastfeed. Faced with a child, who at four weeks weighed less than birthweight, it would surely be necessary to do something to change that situation. Mixed feeding is a possibility presumably.

7. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Perhaps the money would be better spent on education around the subject that illustrates the positive benefits to both mother and child of breastfeeding over formula.

But I am a young, male teacher with no children, so it's hardly my area of expertise.

wanet, emerald52 and calamansi like this.
  8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Me too, but I'll try anything once. Where do I sign up?

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

In this day and age all of those descriptors can be changed.

delmamerchant likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Arguably you are as much an expert as the general public is on teaching... in that most have been through it...

I was breastfed... so I am an expert on being a recipient.

Though the memory is rather hazy...

needabreak likes this.
  11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

As the parent of a child who when born nearly died due to dehydration as milk did not come in "on time", I can safely say that there is a place for both, thankfully consultants got an IV saline into her after several attempts and after the febrile convulsion, despite her veins having collapsed... if we could rely on breast feeding I doubt formula would have even been invented. As someone who was indoctrinated into the belief that breast was best I torn until faced with the "give her a bottle or watch her die" statement. I suspect many would agree with me if they had faced the same situation.

sabrinakat and delmamerchant like this.
  12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The NHS pays for certain patients to go to the gym, so I have no problem with it encouraging mothers to breast feed. The benefits are primarily for the baby and too few mothers breast feed nowadays IMHO.
    Although not everyone can breastfeed, that should not constrain the NHS in promoting breastfeeding for at least the first 6 weeks of a baby's life.
    There should be more facilities for mothers to breastfeed when out of the home, and I don't mean public toilets!
    Some people who cannot breastfeed direct could use the money to hire a machine to allow them to bottle feed their baby breast milk. I hired an electric machine back in 1983 when my 1lb 15ozs daughter was being tube fed for 2 months and then bottle fed for another 3 weeks until she was strong enough to breastfeed. Prior to that she would have used up more calories suckling than she gained from the milk. That machine kept my milk going and I successfully breast fed her until she was a year old and above average weight for her age.

katycustard and emerald52 like this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I suspect that they will have done a cost/benefit analysis. The evidence is that breastfed babies are less likely to develop asthma and the antibodies that they get from breast milk in the early weeks protects them froma variety of ailments.
    Mothers who breastfeed can also benefit physically. It helps the womb to revert to its correct size and position, for instance.

InkyP likes this.
  14. needabreak

Should we not be questioning the rationale of people who will breastfeed for payment but would otherwise buy bottles and formula to feed their children?

Why do we have to incentivise everything financially? What is wrong with people?

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Getting the vouchers and saving on bottles, steriliser, formula milk and childcare etc might be what allows some mothers to stay at home longer.
    The mother on the TV, who took part in the trials for this scheme, said that the vouchers helped her to persevere with breast feeding when she hit difficult times (night feeds etc).
    Apparently the trial resulted in a 6% increase in breastfeeding and that has enormous benefits for babies and for the NHS.

emerald52 likes this.
  16. needabreak

So they would sacrifice their children's health and wellbeing for the sake of a total of £280 shopping vouchers? But would spend money on bottles, sterilisers etc without it? I really thought that child benefit is what helps parents, perhaps that should be increased in line with inflation.

I am not sure the extra £80 in that time frame would facilitate many women "staying at home" in order to breastfeed since they can earn so much more by returning to work. It is quite clear that SMP could be increased if this were the expected outcome.

17. needabreak

Gill Walton, chief executive of the Royal College of Midwives, said: “The motive for breastfeeding cannot be rooted by offering financial reward. It has to be something that a mother wants to do in the interest of the health and wellbeing of her baby.”

wanet likes this.
  18. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I started but had to stop for two reasons: one, my nipples bled so badly my son's motions turned black from the blood he was ingesting; and two, he had an intolerance only recently illuminated to beta casein found in cows' milk and able to pass into breast milk. It gave him constipation and wind. As there were no non-dairy alternatives in 1981 to milk, I bottlefed him instead. That didn;t work because formula's made out of cows' milk. It was only on the chance advice of a neighbour that I tried him with a soya alternative and he was instantly, miraculously cured. medical opinion was that it would be worth giving it a go with Son2 but if the same symptoms appeared, to put him straight onto Nutramigen (amino-acid isolates).
    Can I get a part-payment for trying and a note from matron to say I had a good reason for discontinuing? For the record he has never had asthma, hayfever or eczema.

katycustard, sabrinakat and knitone like this.
  19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

For some who are not high earners, there is not a lot of surplus money from returning to work once childcare costs are factored in.
    If a financial incentive draws attention to the benefits of breastfeeding, which not everyone knows about, I'm all for it.

20. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Would people pay their own daughters ( or mothers of their grandchildren) as an incentive to breast feed their babies?