1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cases doubling every week now

Discussion in 'News' started by Corvuscorax20, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

no surprise really, is it

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Yes but......
    Substantial numbers of asymptomatic people are now being tested and found positive now. Previously such people weren't tested so weren't found.
    For once Trump is right: if you test more, you get more positives.
    Total number of tests has increased, so more positive results.
    It's complicated to say the least to work out what the exact underlying trend is - clearly (?) upwards but by how much?

3. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

Cases are rising, but thankfully this is not leading to large increases in hospital admissions or deaths.

Countries that are ahead of us such as France and Spain are also not seeing big problems- only 7% of ICU beds in Spain are currently occupied by COVID patients.

The number of cases is not an issue so long as it is not spreading to the vulnerable, as the vast majority of people will suffer no serious ill effects.

Personally I would reintroduce shielding on a voluntary basis, with the government paying salaries if necessary. The rest of us need to get on with it for the sake of the economy and mental health.

josiee99 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Corvuscorax20

no, I am sorry, but that is just not true. The number of tests undertaken has NOT doubled this week, and has certainly not quadrupled since the week before.

Testing has not even been available in for many people with symptoms, so they are not in the statistics at all.

The number of tests available has gone down.

MrsAnonymous, LiamD, Smiler31 and 3 others like this.
  5. reflective_pedant

reflective_pedant New commenter

6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

It appears that the rise is starting with younger people, then is being passed on to older people after a while. It takes time to feed through.

Of concern to schools will be fatigue. Adherence to new policies will start to fray around the edges, if the rest of society is anything to go by.

7. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Having read a number of your posts about conditions of work in your "school", I wonder seriously about the effect your way of running a "school" has on the mental health of your employees. :eek:

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

I refuse to consider the potential mental health issues of imaginary people in an imaginary school.

9. Corvuscorax20

firstly, you are wrong, hospital cases are rising, and secondly you are wrong, vulnerable people are being affected, and thirdly you are wrong, many "non- vulnerable" people are suffering terribly. My friend whatss apped me some photos of her poor 9 year old daughter this morning. She has been totally poleaxed. No underlying health issues at all, but more than 75 % of her skin is swollen, red and blue. She looks like she has been run over by a steam roller. I have honestly never seen anything like it on a living person. Best way to describe it is her body looks as if she died around 4 days ago.

Sally006 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  10. TheHeadteachersOffice

Of course there are always going to be specific regions and areas that have particular problems. The nationwide picture in Spain however is not one of people being treated in hospital corridors and dying in their thousands.

There is no guarantee of a vaccine anytime soon, so the focus has to be on living with the virus, while protecting the vulnerable, taking sensible precautions and prohibiting extremely high-risk activities like nightclubs.

11. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

The fear is that the government does what it has alluded to and let’s it rip so that workplaces and schools still ‘function’ (though dysfunction would be more accurate). France has, shockingly, seemed to suggest they are doing that, just as Trump wanted (but got only in some places).

What this is doing is putting the onus of safety back onto other people. The real reason we locked down in March wasn’t because of government but because society was crumbling and schools and workplaces were being abandoned, Furlough gave it legitimacy but at what point now do people put their health over creating wealth?

On testing the number to look for is positivity rates and they are going up. When a rising percentage of people being tested are positive you are in trouble,

LiamD, Sally006 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  12. TheHeadteachersOffice

What is the alternative? We simply cannot afford another national lockdown- there would be no money left to pay for the NHS. It also makes no sense when COVID is simply not a serious threat to the vast majority of people.

The focus has to be on protecting the vulnerable- pay their wages and make sure things like food deliveries are working well.

I believe the increase in positivity can be explained by the fact that most testing capacity has been moved to areas with high infection rates and high number of cases, so there are obviously going to be more positive tests in those areas.

13. letap

letap Occasional commenter

For someone boasting about isolating at home because of perceived risk in the workplace, its rather rich that you suggest the rest of us just get on with it.

14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Has she had a test? That doesn't sound like Covid . She needs an appointment with her G.P. to check out her skin. I hope she gets better soon.

border_walker and agathamorse like this.
  15. Corvuscorax20

yes, she has had a test, yes it is kawasaki-like covid.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    PamDemic likes this.
  16. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Every one of these threads features the obligatory comments from the imaginary school leader with the imaginary school and the desperately unlucky individual who has personal experience of every statistically unlikely terrible thing that can happen.

17. Lilac18

Lilac18 New commenter

Corvuscorax I can’t help noticing you have only just joined tes and all your posts are about Covid, and so called terrible events you experience. Where is your evidence for this persistent scaremongering.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They haven't only just joined...they were here before without the 20 at the end.

All posts before were also scaremongering mind you.

19. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

The general pattern seems to be - once called out leave the thread, never to return, but continue to be active elsewhere.

20. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Also, haven't France had a massive increase in hospitalisations, and aren't many French people linking this to schools? Sure I heard this on a news report, sorry not sure which, but Google might well find something?