1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Case Study help

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Lawz_2288, May 3, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm currrently doing a case study on why students choose Media Studies. It would be really useful if I could get some feedback from fellow Media Studies teachers. The questions I want to ask is: Why do you think your students have chosen to study Media Studies and how do you think their pre-conceptions of Media Studies has affected their engagement with the subject?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Hi,
    I'm currrently doing a case study on why students choose Media Studies. It would be really useful if I could get some feedback from fellow Media Studies teachers. The questions I want to ask is: Why do you think your students have chosen to study Media Studies and how do you think their pre-conceptions of Media Studies has affected their engagement with the subject?
    Thanks [​IMG]

3. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

It's compulsory at my school. I'm sorry if that is irritating for your study, but I thought it was a point worth mentioning. We are using Media Studies GCSE to replace the SATs in Year 9 and it has been really interesting (250 students a year). Because the school is in quite a deprived area (educationally as well as socially) and because of the fact that the GCSE is compulsory, we generally find that there really are very few preconceptions- certainly none negative. Students' engagement with the subject is affected by the fact, mainly, that it is a GCSE and hence they will attain a grade from it. They therefore work much harder than they would ordinarily have done in English (even for the SATs). However, one interesting point is the fact that, perhaps because of their general open-mindedness towards the subject, students have really gained a lot from the study i.e. learning about the Media has opened their horizons far beyond the scope of the actual subject and we actually now have some students asking questions in English in year 10 which reflect an interest and awareness of the world outside their inner London suburb. Good times!