1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CAs

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sophiegee, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I am sure I have read a post on here about the average settlement for a CA. Was it approximately 3 months pay? thanking you in advance.

2. I am sure I have read a post on here about the average settlement for a CA. Was it approximately 3 months pay? thanking you in advance.

3. Depends on the situation. If due to perceived poor performance would often be a lot less than if there is more substantial issues & evidence on the school's side that the teacher possesses.
    It is tax free. And bear in mind that today's climate is one that such a small payment will no last long, though maybe better than nothing - but think carefully about this action.
    Feel free to PM.

4. thanks miss pious, this email is on behalf of a colleague who rang me up last night in a distraught state. The school has offered 3 months due to poor results over a period of time but he is also I believe on the top scale and nearing retirement. My colleague believes they just want rid of him to save money. This may be the case but they have also threatened capability procedures in the same breath and does not want to go down this route. So, under these circumstances would 3 months be acceptable do you think? He has had enough of school. I will ring him later about any comments recieved here and to check if colleague ok.

5. This does not sound like your friend has not had any contact from his Union - something that he needs to as a matter of urgence - I would ring his local contact now - should have an out of hours no.
    If close to retirement, he needs to rmeian mindful that although there maybe legislation to the contrary, it may well be even harder to gain new employment etc.
    3 months of more money if you are on higher payscale will still ultimately leave you in the same place. And it may well be generous in the circumstances tbh, BUT the future needs considering very carefully. Would he settle for a minimum wage job afterwards like so many teachers have had to?

6. thanks miss pious, he hasn't mentioned the union. He was just so upset but will give him a ring and tell him to contact them. thanks

7. Here we go again. Yes, I expect he's been given the difficult exam classes, as he's an experienced teacher. Yes, he's expensive and, probably, if he's near to retirement, is not afraid to express an occasional view that doesn't conform entirely with SMT thinking, so he's viewed as 'out of touch' (i.e. trouble maker).
    The government imagines that teachers will go through to 68 in the future. This scenario is already increasing in frequency, and will do even more so as teachers reach maximum salary, maybe with 30 years to retirement. They are perceived as expensive dead-weights.
    1) He must contact his union urgently. They will negotiate and support.
    2) For personal support, he should phone Teacher Support Network, info. on http://teachersupport.info/
    3) He should talk to his doctor, as he will be experiencing the start of work-related stress, if he hasn't already been for the last few months.
    It's worth noting how these unpleasant situations pop up with about a month to go before the end of year resignation date. The exam results haven't deteriorated in the last few weeks. SMT have looked at the budget and are wondering if they can pressurise a few more early retirements so they can get some nice fresh blood (= cheap) in.

8. The same old thing, yet again. In my school, about after after the arrival of a, seemingly nice, new Head, 'more mature' members of staff were invited along for a 'chat', at which 'retirement' was discussed. A couple, who had only a year ot two to go expressed an interest. Then nothing happened for a while, followed by a one-by-one process of picking people off started, using the usual tactics: competency etc. When this had finished it was outright redundancies.

9. casper

casper New commenter

This is so outrageous, this is affecting people's lives and health. So sickening and so sad.I hope your colleague gets the help and support he needs. How very dare they.

10. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

For a CA to be effective in law he also needs to have received independent legal advice from a suitable person. I agree that the union is the way forward.

11. thanks all and crowbob. you say about getting independent legal advice - would the union lawyers be ok for this?

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Yes, they would be fine.