1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cartoon "the edward Jenner Story"

Discussion in 'Science' started by shuff, Nov 10, 2008.

1. shuff

shuff New commenter

I'm looking for a particular cartoon called 'the edward jenner story' its a particularly twee video of the story played out in the style of a movie e.g. "starring James phipps as the young boy"etc

I know I've seen it before, but really struggling to find it!

2. shuff

shuff New commenter

I'm looking for a particular cartoon called 'the edward jenner story' its a particularly twee video of the story played out in the style of a movie e.g. "starring James phipps as the young boy"etc

I know I've seen it before, but really struggling to find it!

3. It is part of an old Scientific Eye programme about microbes. we have the video at school but have not round to transferring it onto the computer. If you are desperate I can get you the Edward Jenner segment.

BB

4. sci84

sci84 New commenter

5. shuff

shuff New commenter

Thanks, but that's not the one I was thinking of. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

6. I think it might be part of a Scientific eye video called microbeasts and disease or something like that.

7. shuff

shuff New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Thats the one! Thanks ever so!</font>

8. I just can't download this and I want it too. Sooooo unfair!

9. I have used this video a lot - it sparks a good debate about "How science works" - was Jenner a good scientist?

The other debate is the fact that it totally ignores the role of other cultures in the development of vaccination. I think there is a a video on micorbes and disease on teachers TV with another little cartoon telling the same story in a similar engaging way but drawing on the work of the Chinese and Turks. There was a woman called Lady Mary (someone - damn forgot her name) he introduced small pox vaccination to Britain before Jenner - only not so sucessfully. I have had good debates with my class about how this is an illustration of how the role of other cultures and women in science is often side-lined.
    <u><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></u>

10. Orion

Orion New commenter

I got it from the Science Video Network