1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cars

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mad dog, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

Motoring advice needed
    I need to replace what has now become a rust with pieces of car attached.
    I need some sort of MPV estate thing to lug kids and their gear around in and occasionally do longer motorway journeys.
    Currently looking at Ford CMax, Mondeo Estate, Zafira, Octavia Estate or Peugeot 807 (mainly because I like the rear doors)
    Budget is four to five thousand

Any advice gratefully heeded

2. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

Motoring advice needed
    I need to replace what has now become a rust with pieces of car attached.
    I need some sort of MPV estate thing to lug kids and their gear around in and occasionally do longer motorway journeys.
    Currently looking at Ford CMax, Mondeo Estate, Zafira, Octavia Estate or Peugeot 807 (mainly because I like the rear doors)
    Budget is four to five thousand

Any advice gratefully heeded

3. We had a Fiat Multipla ... loved it in terms of space for the kids and boot space was wow

Now a Renault Laguna ... spacious for teens but not really adaptable

4. Friends are on their 3rd Zafira they swear by it with lots of kids

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't resist it ;-)

6. Well I am on my fourth Octavia and they have been great- three estates and one hatch and the current one is the Octavia Scout and it is excellent. That being said your budget would only stretch to a Mark 1 Octavia and the 1.9 tdi diesel is the best option here - very reliable and can do very high mileages with well over 50 mpg easily achievable. If you do look at Octavias you must check service records carefully as timing chain replacement at the correct mileage is a high cost and may not have been done by cheapskate owners, and make sure the mileage is verifiable as far too many of these are used as taxis (the commercial taxi not the family type that mine end up as).

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've had five Renault Scenics. Never a problem. Mind I had them all from new. 5 grand should get you a 3 or 4 year old one. If you have a choice I'd go for the 1.5 Diesel. Enough oomph to get you along but very good mpg. Seats 5 easily with loads of leg room and head room in the back but they also so a 7 seater but you lose a lot of luggage space. I still see a couple of my old ones locally and they seem to look OK.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

There is only one thing you need to find out about cars and that's how much they will cost you to own. Flash cars are very expensive to own. If they have lots of gismos there's more to go wrong. With down-market cars, there are cheaper spare parts if you can fix it yourself when it goes wrong, cheaper tyres, cheaper insurance and so on.
    Every car on the market can drive within the maximum speed limit, some accelerate faster, use more fuel as they do so, but do you really need acceleration more than some spare cash?

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

yes, if you are going to spend time in a car you may as well be enjoying the gizmo, performance and trim. In fact mm if you were not banned I would bet you drive an E320cdi with comand.

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I have no idea what an E320cdi is lurk. To me, a car is nothing more than a lump of metal that gets you somewhere, nothing more. In my case, as you suggest, it's sitting there rusting away at this time.

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

If you want more exclusivity there is a Honda derivative called a Civic Shuttle (I think). Might be few around, don't know the model or when they were produced. Advantage is its a Honda so won't go wrong.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

OOpsy its called Honda Stream. It is based on the shuttle but has a seven seat body. There are several on slae on Autotrader in the right price range you mention.