1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cars - geat stick feels so heavy!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Apr 29, 2012.

1. My automatic accelerates really quickly. I can still beat a teen at the traffic lights if I am in the mood.
    If you can use the gas pedal properly and can feel the engine, you will have no problems going uphill, accelerating, nor breaking. But you need to feel the engine to know when to change gears anyway, so there is no real difference, apart from automatic being much more comfortable (and thinking for you when you are being daft).
    I had all the misconceptions Jacob mentioned about automatics, then test drove this one and was addicted!
    Wouldn't go back to a non-automatic, if I could help it.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Can I ask what kinda car your have got?

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Trouble is, I get emotionally attached to me cars. Especially Toyotas.
    My hub just advised me we might as well just change my car if I cannot drive it. I showed him a sock I was sorting which had a thread bare heel - he insisted he could still wear it. We are both as bad as each other.
    The sock went in the bin though.

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

daft points
    1) is there enough oil in your car?
    2) is the seat where you left it/ at the same hight
    3) there isn't a pen or anything stuck behind the 'stick' thats jamming up when you go to move it?

5. RUFree

RUFree New commenter

I too would reccomend going down the automatic route - l have one and could never go back. Like using a twin tub instead of an automatic washing machine in my estimation!
    Also has the bonus though, that l feel it enables you to focus on the road and driving more, useful if a nervous driver or recovering from illness/not been on road for a while.
    Friend at school had to move mine other day and came back say he wanted one too now - Had never thought about it before.
    I was meeting my sister in the Lakes last year. She arrived really hot, tired and stressed having had horrible journey she said and exhausted by all gear changing. (We're neither natural born drivers) I actually enjoyed same journey, very rare as i usually hate unfamiliar roads. Was as fresh as a daisy.
    Hate driving but love my car!

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

My Citroen has gear change paddles under the steering wheel which change gear at the flick of a finger; very intuitive and simple. In fact it has the choice of manual using the paddles or automatic. I use the paddles, and my OH uses auto.

7. I have a Toyota Yaris :ö)

8. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

It may be the gear linkage has dried up - simple re-greasing and adjustment will do it. BUT I would only entrust such work to a garage you know and trust, for you don't want to hear 'needs a new clutch' and big bills. Does your car have an internet owner's club? There should be good advice on there for how to get it done yourself and/or how much a garage would charge. (It is a 30 minute job, max) You can also buy new linkage kits and they are not that expensive. I'd say you are looking at 20-60 quid, depending on the dealer and work done. Easy DIY if you can work under the car yourself.

9. I love my automatic. It's a 2.0l Hyundai Coupe and believe me it accelerates quicker than most at traffic lights - and the kickdown on the motorway is good fun too :p
    We've also got an automatic Toyota Corolla SR which is also a fabulour little automatic - very nippy.
    Both cars can be overridden manually if the need arises but I have never needed to do this except in the snow.

10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Agreeing with CQ again. I can burn off almost anything at the lights.
    Most manufacturers use Getrag gearboxes now, even Honda who for years had their "hondamatic" gearboxes which are excellent (I've had two) but only have four speeds whereas the "market" demands at least 5 now. I have never tried one of those CVT gearboxes used in smaller cars (used by Fiat, Ford, Honda and many others), but they are supposed to be ok once you get used to the constant engine note as the speed rises due to the gearbox shifting ratio.
    The Volkswagen group (VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat) use a DSG box which can be auto or flappy-paddle, the ones with bigger engines ues a six speed version, wheras the ones with smaller engines use a seven speed version. I have tried neither, but VW group have finally joined the 21st Century and are producing some up to date technology.
    I would defy any normal motorist to beat me from the lights in the same model car as me with a manual box.

11. Do you have to take another test, though? I

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Eh?
    Do you mean another test to drive an automatic?
    If you take your test in a manual gear car you can drive anything that covers, including automatics. If you take your test in an automatic, you would have to take another one to drive cars with manual gears.

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Want to bet, Jacob?
    It would be a pleasure to take your money ...

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

oooer! testosterone?

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

No, physics.