1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carrying on with PGCE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louiseheaton94, Nov 24, 2018.

1. louiseheaton94

louiseheaton94 New commenter

I am currently doing Primary PGCE School Direct. I absolutely love the teaching part of the job and interacting with children. However, I have already fallen out of love with it. The work load, the pressure and the responsibilty etc. I just don't want that.

Overall, I would like to be a TA and then an NVQ Assessor.

Should I carry on with the PGCE or quit and find an alternative job?
    I've burnt out now and got bad anxiety and depression.
    Advice would be appreciated!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Only you can decide whether to continue or not.
    Do you need to be a teacher to be an NVQ assessor? If so, you need to carry on.
    If not, then apply for TA jobs and do that.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Pack it in now and just be a TA, if that's what you want.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

How long have you been feeling this way? Is it likely to be to do with nearing the end of a difficult term? How do you feel about keeping going until Easter - having a nice Christmas holiday and coming back refreshed to try one more term - but with intention of leaving at Easter? If you think you could do another term, give yourself that time before making a final decision. You never know - once you get to Easter you might find you could cope with another term. But if you can't imagine keeping going until Easter, then it's time to leave now. Good luck with your decision.

TEA2111 likes this.
  5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, you should find an alternative job, louiseheaton94. Instead of teaching in the UK, you should be teaching overseas in an international school. Then you will not have a lot of the garbage that poor teachers in the UK have to put up with. You can read about teaching in China if you go to my blog, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

6. soa10jf

soa10jf New commenter

The PGCE is a year. Get it under your belt and tick the boxes - it is a qualification no-one can take away from you afterwards even if you want to become a TA. It took me 2 years to complete mine after I had doubts in my first year. Never looked back.

7. soa10jf

soa10jf New commenter

I also have anxiety and depression, just make sure you manage your time- best tip anyone gave me. And don't do any work on a Saturday!