1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carrying learning French at Senior school after 7 years of it at junior school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Princessdoucepie, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Princessdoucepie

Princessdoucepie New commenter

Dear All,

I hope you can provide me a bit of hope/suggestions/advice...
    I joined a great independent girls junior school last January as an MFL coordinator. After a meeting with my counterpart at the senior school, I realised that the majority of the girls drop French in favor of Spanish in Year 8. I realise this is a national trend. However, I find it a real shame that after learning it for over 7 years, they just drop the subject without any recognition/level. Also what is the point in my teaching it at all? The situation is such that this year, there are no French A levels being sat; and only a few girls carry it to GCSE.

I am thinking of suggesting the following:
    1. Bringing French GCSEs forward in year 8/9: this means rewriting a more academic SOW for the junior school
    2. Bringing in the DELF exam to award the girls a level globally recognised.

My questions to you are:
    1. Are you experiencing or have you experienced the same issues?
    2. What strategy have you used to remedy/ slow down the problem?

Please do drop me a line, if you can think of anything. I would be very interested in reading your stories/opinion/advice.

Many thanks,

Princessdoucepie

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If they have been studying French for 7 years in your prep, can you offer GCSE or similar at the end of year 6?

Princessdoucepie likes this.