1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carrot cake

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Apr 27, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Difficult to call but I'd rely on the skewer test rather than use a specific time. As it will be more shallow, I'd suggest it might take less time, so start checking earlier - maybe after 40 minutes.

2. Thanks Nick, I've changed my mind now! Grandma's chocolate cake instead, or maybe both if i feel like it!

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Wouldn't it be nice if someone produced a website you could visit, type in the tin size recommended, and the cooking time, type in the size of tin you have, along with the shape and it worked out for you how to change the cooking time or vary the quantities of ingredients by percentange to get the same cake height?
    Maybe one exists, I haven't looked yet.

4. Too easy Nick.
    I use these all the time
    Wilton cakes
    Baking 911

Very handy they are too, even if they are American

5. Oh! Not as jangly as you asked for!! I did used to have a book with the workings out... wonder where it went??
    I know how to scale up a sponge dependent on the number of eggs - but the number 2 is not difficult to remember!!
    I shall have a look and if I find it I shall post the info. I suppose I could try making a webpage/excel spreadsheet thingy!! How clever would that be??
    Too clever. I might just load it in resources - should I find the info in the first place!!