1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carrier bag charge: failing to pay 5p levy 'no different from stealing food', says minister

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Rott Weiler likes this.
  2. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

There is no VAT included in the 5p bag charge,

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

There is. Check your facts...

Hint: just read the article & comments below!

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Surely a few free carrier bags is a small payment from the supermarket for the efforts self scanners make to reduce supermarket staffing levels.

FolkFan likes this.
  5. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

I now carry my own bag - when I remember and our local shop still only charges 4p for a bag if I don't.

Still talking to myself

6. BobbyPhilips

Fair play. The charge is 5p inclusive of VAT if registered and 5p exclusive of VAT if not

7. BobbyPhilips

The 5p is an environment tax on the consumer. The Scots have been doing it for a while. Best buy a shopping bag.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

TBH the 5p charge is long overdue and may force shoppers (including myself) to use a 'bag for life' and stop destroying the oceans and sea creatures with this unnatural substance.

Downside is will the 5p go into cleaning polluted seas? More like subsidising Cameron's request for pig meat.............

9. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Will our own bags upset the self scanning 'voice' as I expect my hessian ones weigh more than their plastic ones. Will we be harangued about those unexpected items in bagging area? I kind of hope they casue chaos then the supermarkets might let us have a few freebies.

midnight_angel likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We absolutely should be shopping with bags made of natural, sustainable materials.
    Don't pay up. Just get yourself some cloth bags. Nothing to do with the short-term microeconomics for the shopper. Everything to do with responsible citizenship.

snowyhead and cuteinpuce like this.
  11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Cloth types are definitely best - those bags for life are still plastic and don't last all that long anyway.

snowyhead likes this.
  12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

But clearly very different from defrauding the tax-payer with dodgy expense claims.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I ended up with bags for life of all different shapes and sizes because I bought them all at different times. I have now invested in a set of four "trolley bags" designed to fit perfectly. I always do scan as you shop - much less frustrating than the self service checkouts.

snowyhead likes this.
  14. BobbyPhilips

Those that committed fraud went to jail; unlikley for stealing a carrier bag.

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm just back from Tesco, where they were giving everyone who came in a free 'Bag for life' ahead of the rule change on Monday.

16. Duke of York

It's interesting to note that plastic carrier bags never existed 40 years ago. People always took their own bags with them when they went shopping. Some grocery shops and the like would sell durable carrier bags made from Kraft paper with string handles for around a shilling.

Why shops chose to give carrier bags away is an interesting question. My guess is that it was initially inspired by someone in marketing as a means of advertising the shops.

I get how it's a simple matter to change the plastic bag habit with supermarket shopping, but what are the clothes shops going to do? Return to paper bags? To be honest I can't remember what they offered when I was young.

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Same at the Co op.

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

No. You put your bag on the scale at the start and it zeros it.
    Supermarkets have to charge you. They could give you other items as a freebie but not a plastic carrier bag. A few have removed bags from self serve checkouts unless you ask for them. Others trust you to tell the checkout how many you have used.

19. Duke of York

Personally, I think environmentalists should pay extra tax so those who will be made redundant from the plastic bag industry don't feel guilty about claiming unemployment benefits.

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

About time too, I say. My supermarket "bags for life" have been going strong since the Year 2000, and I always have a couple of expandable bags in my handbag for unexpected purchases.

I actually feel really bad on the odd occasion I find myself going home from the shops with a plastic bag they have given me - although I still expect / accept them from clothes shops. I'd quite like this situation to change, too.

It's all about mind-set.