1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carrie Fisher spoke French?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by vuvuzela, Jan 31, 2018.

1. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

2. parkert

parkert New commenter

Thanks for sharing this. :)

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm not why you are surprised. I assume that she would have had a very good standard of education when young and that she would have travelled to Europe with her mother.

4. vuvuzela

I'm surprised because I'd never heard about it before, and let's face it, to an anglophone language teacher, any other anglophone who has genuinely made an effort to learn a language comes as a (nice) surprise. Gwyneth Paltrow, for example, speaks excellent Spanish:

5. Schifoan

Schifoan New commenter

I've seen Sandra Bullock accept an award and give the speech in very good German.

6. Dodros

Dodros Lead commenter

This one?

I agree, a fluent speech in the language.

Schifoan likes this.
  7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Wikipedia says her mother is German and her dad worked in Germany where he met the mother and SB has dual nationality. She was raised in Germany and attended school there until her teenage years.

8. Schifoan

Schifoan New commenter

Still, it is nice to see her keep it up and take pride in it.

9. vuvuzela

Exactly. Just wondered why the negativity, Catmother? Are you not on board with the "feel good" factor here? :)

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What negativity? I've pointed out that SB was brought up and schooled in Germany,hence,her being fluent in German.

As for Carrie Fisher,it did not surprise me that she would speak French.
    I grew up in France and a lots of big foreign stars (movies or singers) would be interviewed in French on the TV.

11. Schifoan

Schifoan New commenter

Not exactly a celebrity (although my avatar probably gives away that I like watching skiing!), but this is British cross-country skiier Andy Musgrave giving an interview in Norwegian. Which he learned deliberately, rather than having a family connection:

12. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Gwyneth Paltrow spent a year in Spain near Toledo