1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carribean Lamb Curry

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by GalaxyRider, Sep 6, 2011.

1. <u>Carribean Lamb Curry with sweet potatoes.</u>
    Quality olive oil
    2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
    800g diced leg of lamb (any excess fat trimmed off)
    1 medium onion chopped finely, 4 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/4 tsp ground cloves, &frac12; tsp ground turmeric, &frac12; tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp mild curry powder, 2 tsp garam masala
    1 can of chopped tomatoes, juice of &frac12; lime, 300ml chicken stock,
    You can serve with rice/naan bread/chips etc, but I like to use a nice fresh uncut bread loaf with doorstop chunks to eat with the curry.
    Prep all the ingredients, then heat up a large pan/wok, add a bit of oil and cook the lamb, turning it till it's nice and brown all over. Put the lamb on a warmed plate, and then add the chopped onion to the wok and cook till golden brown. Add the lamb again with the garlic, the spices, chopped tomatoes and lime juice. Cover and cook gently for 5 mins.
    Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer part covered for 1 hour, then uncover the curry, add the sweet potatoes, &frac14; tsp of salt, and cook for a further 15-20 mins till the potatoes are tender (hint - small dice) and the sauce has thickened and reduced.
    Serve with bread, naan, rice, pasta, chips - whatever you fancy (although the sweet potatoes do fill the dish out)

I did this with chicken thighs instead of lamb at the weekend, absolutely lovely.

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oooh, thanks for that! Sounds gorgeous and I was in desperate need of some inspiration for the weekend.
    Can't wait to try it. [​IMG]

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sounds yummy!
    Had Caribbean goat curry at Kinsa's on Sunday and that was yummy too!

4. Had the last bit for supper last night - only a very little bit left thanks to our lovely guests who scoffed the rest. Also the rest of the chicken which I didn't find as fiery as I thought! Loads of salt fish and ackees in the freezer!

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Thanks very much for the recipe! I went out and replenished the spices, which had been languishing at the back of the cupboard, and made the dish for our evening meal. I used chicken. It was delicious and your recipe was so easy to follow. I'm not an adventurous cook but I really enjoyed making it. Had naan and chips. How greedy. Oh, and a glass of Pinot. I had resolved only to drink at weekends!
    Will look forward to more of your recipes CG

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

[​IMG]