1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carribean day ideas please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by daffodilval, Jul 8, 2011.

1. H,i we have a Caribbean day next week (i am y2 and y3), I have searched for acticitves, but to no avail, we do have a steel drum band coming in and i am taking in Caribbean fruits, but other than that, lost!
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. Hi there,

how about you looking at the different countries in the Caribbean and focus on their capital cities, currencies, national dish. If you looking at the food theme, you could visit a Caribbean shop and choose some popular ingredients and discuss them with the children, you could even do a show and tell about food if there are children in your class who have Caribbean origin.You could even research famous individuals associated with that country for example, Lewis Hamilton origin is Grenadian (Grenada) Bob Marley or Usain Bolt (Jamaica), Rhianna (Barbados) etc and link it to information associated with the various islands.

Hope that helps.

4. You could look at how Toussaint L’Ouverture fought against slavery in Haiti ... history/citizenship!
    Look at http://www.gogivers.org/ppts/Freedom.ppt - you will probably need to take quite a few slides out to adapt it/simplify it for younger children but it might get the kids thinking if you touched on the history of the islands and brought in some moral questions for them to get their teeth into.

5. Our topic was Guyana, which is just about in the Caribbean. We had a carnival. The chldren made head dresses, designed costumes and floats, composed calypso music and dances and made caribbean buns and fruit salad.

6. thanks for the ideas x

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

All I can think of is to have a bowl of rum punch in the staffroom. In fact, I'm so taken with that idea, I think I'll suggest it for my own staffroom, even though we're not having a Caribbean day