1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carpet time 'fillers'

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JuicyLu, Jan 11, 2007.

1. I've just started as an NQT in a Reception class. I'm Early Years trained and used to being withn a Reception class setting.

However!....my class of children are a very chatty group (made worse by the windy weather!) (also made worse by the transition with me as the new teacher and a handful of new intakes).

Just wanted some ideas in terms of little time fillers for the carpet, i.e. when we are tidying up and waiting for everybody to sit on the carpet. Also some tricks to pull out of the bag when they just won't shut up!! I feel as if i'm constantly on at them to listen and my usual strategies just haven't been working (i.e. starting actions for them to copy, singing songs, clapping hands to copy, etc)

Just feel as if i'm increasingly having to raise my voice to get hush because they will just chat over my singing, clapping, etc. I am very calm in my approach and don't want to get in to this routine.

Would love some inspiration!

2. I've just started as an NQT in a Reception class. I'm Early Years trained and used to being withn a Reception class setting.

However!....my class of children are a very chatty group (made worse by the windy weather!) (also made worse by the transition with me as the new teacher and a handful of new intakes).

Just wanted some ideas in terms of little time fillers for the carpet, i.e. when we are tidying up and waiting for everybody to sit on the carpet. Also some tricks to pull out of the bag when they just won't shut up!! I feel as if i'm constantly on at them to listen and my usual strategies just haven't been working (i.e. starting actions for them to copy, singing songs, clapping hands to copy, etc)

Just feel as if i'm increasingly having to raise my voice to get hush because they will just chat over my singing, clapping, etc. I am very calm in my approach and don't want to get in to this routine.

Would love some inspiration!

3. nicky 1

nicky 1 New commenter

Can't stand to miss out on anything, please could i be a pain and ask for copies of your brain gym / carpet time / girls aloud ideas.

thank you, nicky

n.revill3@ntlworld.com

4. I also use a song sack, and agree it's a great way of filling in time without singing endless rounds of Twinkle Twinkle (the only song my last class claimed to know when asked - groan!) It also gives the children the impression that they're calling the shots by choosing the song, but of course I'm the one who picked what went into the bag in the first place!
    You can use whatever you like in your sack - I prefer to use real objects but you can print out pictures and laminate them if that's easier.
    I think the key thing is that the children are both familiar with the songs that you include in the sack, and know what each object/picture means! You could always ask the children what songs they know and then send them on a scavenger hunt around the room to find an object to represent each one.
    I'd usually have a spider, fish, duck and frog, scarecrow, bus, star, teddy, baby, various farm animals (for Old McDonald) and all sorts of other bits and pieces. I've also got a set of nursery rhyme characters in finger-puppet form from puppets by post.

There's great song that we often sang whilst waiting for our lunchtime supervisor to turn up. It's from the book "Me" by songbirds.
    Chant: Two four six eight, tell me what is on your plate (child chooses foodstuff - eg jelly)

sing: We're going to have some jelly hurrah, hurrah, We're going to have some jelly hurrah, hurrah. Jelly for my dinner, Jelly for my tea. Jelly jelly in my belly. Hip hip hip hooray!.
    Do the chant again and get a new food. The song is cumulative so next one would be eg pizza jelly in my belly......
    Hope that helps

5. very new to this site and all things to do with forums so not sure if Im replying correctly. Could I have a copy of the brain gym activities also please?

Thank you

tmm01@stran.ac.uk

6. Pow

Pow

I would love a copy, I have always wanted to do a related coure, thank you
    beryl.spence@sky.com

7. Hi James,
    <> I just discovered this exciting thread
    about carpet time fillers and your wonderful brain gym activities. I
    would love to have a copy as I've just started my NQT job in reception
    class and I'm in need of creative ideas! Thanks ever so much! My email
    add is: Jagzb@hotmail.com

Cheers! xxx

8. Are the brain gymn activities now posted on this site somewhere? I don't expect James still visits this message thread but if he does, James i know a year has passed, but please could I have a copy too? [​IMG]

alice.alicewilliams @ gmail.com (without the spaces)

9. Hi Could I get a copy of your brain gym activites please?

barb@annells.com

thank you

10. Hi i was just wondering if i could have a copy of your brain gym activities please..

Angel49698@aol.com

Thank you very much

11. hi, i have just read your post and i know it has been a long time since you posted this message, i was wondering if i could get a copy of your brain gym activities please? the girls aloud one sounds fun! my email is mandipkaur555@hotmail.com, thanks

12. Hi James,

Hope you are still reading this thread. Please, please, please could I have a copy of your brain gym activities (esp Girls Aloud). I have just started a permanent job and would love to introduce brain gym after experiencing it a bit on supply.

Thanks
    magicstar29@hotmail.co.uk

13. Hi James,
    Have just come across this thread and it sounds too good not to ask, 'pretty please could you send me your work on brain gym???' thank you, thank you, thank you

14. James what sorts of things do you have in your song bag?-I really like that idea.

Also please can I have a copy of your inventive brain gym sounds good.
    camille_collinge@hotmail.com

Thanks